Sony's new A7S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old April 7th, 2014, 09:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony's new A7S

Wow !
Sony announces full-frame A7s camera that can practically shoot 4K video in the dark | The Verge
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony's new A7S

Was super excited when I heard this this morning until I realised the 4k was only output.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Major Player

The low light capability as well as autofocus during capture without moire are enough to make me sell all my gear for this. As long as it has a clean image out to ISO 12800. Let's hope it sells for less than 2K.
Old April 7th, 2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Major Player

This is amazing except everything I own is M4/3 lol
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis View Post
The low light capability as well as autofocus during capture without moire are enough to make me sell all my gear for this. As long as it has a clean image out to ISO 12800. Let's hope it sells for less than 2K.
A7R is £1700 so I doubt it will be under 2k. Not unless the A7R goes down in price so the range can compete with Panasonic. But brands don't generally do that, do they?
Old April 7th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Palanza View Post
This is amazing except everything I own is M4/3 lol
Haha same, but then I appreciate the cost of M4/3 and doubt realistically needing to shoot with anything shallower than what f1.4 provides on a M4/3 camera... obviously, the ISO alone is reason enough to place this above the M4/3 range, but then the eco-system of lenses for the Sony at the minute are not great.

Interesting that they decided to drop the megapixels by so much to provide such an advancement in ISO. Sony's becoming more and more interesting with their cameras... after watching the DigitalRev video on the D4S... low light performance as good as that on the Sony for video will be unreal.

That said, I'll stick to M4/3. (Because I don't have full frame money).
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 05:51 AM   #7
Trustee

No pricing yet on this thing, though rumour mill says this plus Atomos Shogun for $5,000.

I'm still trying to get my head around the specs. Very interested to see a comparison with the 1dc when the camera is out in the wild. If it really does sell for 3K or 4K, I don't really know why anyone would buy a 1DC or even a 5DMk3.

Only real advantage of 1DC I can think of, stills capability aside, is ergonomics of internal 4K recording. But balanced against considerable savings for camera body and recording media, better frame rates, better lowlight sensitivity, more flexible lens mount...

Add to that known issues with 1DC. Eg non-ideal physical controls, banding below 400 ISO, too desaturated C-Log...

So at least on paper it seems like a slam dunk to me unless I'm missing something obvious, which is very possible. But until it's been tested in practice, who knows.

If Canon is forced to drop price of 1DC to match, now that would be interesting.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 06:07 AM   #8
Major Player

I saw somewhere it is around 1800 USD, body alone ,almost same price as the A7. Hope so.
Old April 10th, 2014, 06:39 AM   #9
Major Player

Pre-order on Park Cameras at a whopping £2500
Old April 10th, 2014, 06:44 AM   #10
Inner Circle

That was to expect I guess as it seems to be competing with the 5dIII, in that case the gh4 becomes very attractive :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #11
Major Player

I'm dubious about Park Cameras price through. I see no price ANYWHERE else. is it at all possible, they guessed the price in order to cash in on pre-orders, and may then refund some when the true price is released? Or is that not legal?

Strange that I don't see anybody else with it on pre-order yet.
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Yesterday Yossi from B&H posted that Sony has not announced the release date nor price. I don't know who is taking orders or who has prices but it's likely they are being deceptive. Check with B&H and Amazon for preordering this camera or to see availability.

Scroll down in thread to see post.

Unveiled: Sony a7S Mirrorless Digital Camera | explora

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR