A7s or GH4 - which for you? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old May 17th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #76
Regular Crew

Re: A7s or GH4 - which for you?

Hallo

I just ordered A7S,yet I am not interested in shooting 4k,but Ninja Blade mounted on it i have 1080X1920 50p.be a second video camera with C100.I had GH3 and was fantastic, just the hdmi output was 50 i.I think to buy a cheaper version like metabonce EF CANON,if you can help me with some suggestions which model you tested and is ok.

Thanks
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #77
Major Player

I'm just about ready to put an order in for the A7S.

One question - what lenses are folks planning to go with? Its a bit of a joke that Sony have so few lenses for this.

Since I already have canon glass, I'm most likely going to stick with them and the metabones adaptor.

With the electronic view finder - I'd be tempted to buy IS lenses and try a lot more handheld shooting. I know others who have gone that way. It gives a lot more flexibility on the wedding day - especially during bridal prep and photoshoot.

Does canon have no 50mm range in IS though? All I see is 24mm, 35mm and 100mm.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 02:34 AM   #78
Inner Circle

Are you sure IS works on canon lenses when you use adapter and attach it to the sony? I thought that only will work on sony lenses.

Edit: maybe this article can help you on lens decission?: http://briansmith.com/sony-a7-a7r-lens-mount-adapters/
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #79
Major Player

I guess I just assumed so Noa. The Metabones adaptor for it is a 'smart' adapter which connects up the aperture control. I assumed that the IS features would function also. Maybe I'm wrong?
Old June 25th, 2014, 03:28 AM   #80
Major Player

Yea, just read the metabones spec - IS is supported.
Old June 25th, 2014, 05:19 AM   #81
Inner Circle

Can someone place a link to the metabones adapter details? - I might just trade in my 5D3 as the A7S has better focus aids - the one thing that stops my using my 5D3 more!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 05:27 AM   #82
Major Player

Here it is Peter

Metabones®

I've pre-ordered the A7S this morning!
Old June 25th, 2014, 05:29 AM   #83
Inner Circle

Thanks Clive - I already have the metabones EF - NEX Speedbooster so I'm guessing this will also work?

Am I correct in thinking that you have to use the metabones with the A7S in APS-C mode? If so pretty much reducing it to a similar performance to my EA50 :/

Last edited by Peter Rush; June 25th, 2014 at 06:04 AM.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #84
Major Player

I know that this Metabones adaptor is 'smart' as in, it can control the lens aperture via the camera controls. But are other aspects lost if you opt for a 'dumb' adaptor? Like Focus peaking?

I'm considering the Holy Manta adaptor and built in variable ND. Of course EF-S lenses can no longer be an option - but I could switch to Rokinon cines.

The Holy Manta looks pretty nifty, and nice to have one ND regardless of how many different lenses and filter threads you want to put on.
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:57 AM   #85
Inner Circle

I have been considering that holy manta as well but like you said you need to use full manual lenses on it which would mean investing in yet another set of lenses, currently I just ramp the shutter way high if I shoot in bright sunlight with my 12-35mm lens, only if I use my 25mm f1.4 or 75mm f1.8 I will add a nd filter.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #86
Austinite

We have both in our rentals department right now... no NEW inventory at this time... anyone in Austin want to come in and complete a somewhat scientific test for DVinfo?
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #87
Regular Crew

Clive, just wondering where you pre-ordered the A7s from and if they gave you a date? I've been considering it for a good while now.

Thanks, M.
Michael Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:53 AM   #88
Major Player

Hey Michael! Didn't know you posted on here!

I ordered from CVP.com. They emailed me post order saying

"...currently not in stock. We will now contact our supplier and find to the delivery lead time and we will email you with the details as soon as we have received a response."

Which I reckon is simply a generic response for out of stock items. Who knows if they will ever give me an expected time frame.

What I do know is that reports suggest that shipping in the US has begun, and over week earlier than was intended. Hopefully it comes earlier in UK too!
Old June 26th, 2014, 04:09 AM   #89
Major Player

OK, so I just emailed CVP to cancel my pre-order. Why? Digitalrev have just begun selling the A7S for immediate shipping at £1750!!!
Old June 26th, 2014, 04:29 AM   #90
Inner Circle

Is that not excluding taxes, customduties etc...? You are cheaper off ordering from the Netherlands, it's still on pre-order there as well but unless you need the camera yesterday some weeks waiting won't put you out of business. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR