My First Sony A7S Wedding - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old August 5th, 2014, 06:06 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: My First Sony A7S Wedding

Thanks Malcolm! Canon for me too. I guess its mostly because most A7S users have jumped off the sinking Canon ship!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 06:12 AM   #17
Regular Crew

That's what I've been thinking too. I would love to use the 24-105L considering that f4 won't be much of a problem, however my only concern is the size relative to the body. What lenses are you using mostly throughout the day?
Malcolm Debono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 06:19 AM   #18
Inner Circle

The body is smaller than the 5D but I'm using 24-105L and Tamron 24-70 f2.8 (heavy little number but fast, sharp and has stabilisation) without any problems.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 06:34 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Glad to hear! Looking forward for the camera to arrive to see what it has to offer :)
Malcolm Debono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 06:47 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Focus peaking /zebras/VF zoom while filming/50p all put it well ahead of the 5D for me :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I find the grade actually makes it difficult to watch. You can have a flat image but it should still have a black reference and a white reference - flat just means this is stretched to the maximum latitude. With this grade there is no black anywhere in the film. Our black reference in this film is middle grey leaving so little in the image it's a real struggle for the eye.

I think the grade you're going for is a vintage bleach bypass look - this would typically still have black and white references but with the colour saturation reduced.
Mathew Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 03:29 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I agree with Matthew. I actually think the colors of the color correction/grade would look great but the black/white levels are so compressed that there is no latitude in the image.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:20 AM   #23
Major Player

FYI, for anyone coming across this thread - The video in the OP has now been replaced with a better grade - and so a lot of the conversation may look confusing!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #24
Major Player

Clive, how are you liking the A7s for weddings now you've had it for a while? Also, have you had any of the color channels clip at receptions with dark colored led lighting? We had a band with led lights that changed colors and everytime they would turn blue it would clip the blue channel and look horrible.

Thanks!
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 09:07 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Used mine at 2 weddings now - mainly with a Tamron 24-70 2.8 - I'm slowly getting used to it - here's my initial thoughts

LOVE the low light capability - it's truly awesome and way better/cleaner than the 5D3
LOVE that the footage edits nicely with my other Sony cameras (EA50/CX730)
LOVE the focus peaking/zoom focus assist while shooting
LOVE the 50p at 1080

HATE the feel and location of the record button
HATE the sensitive ISO selector control wheel - easy to accidentally adjust with the side of your thumb
HATE the white flash I get when opening up the aperture while filming (this may be a fault however - happens with metabones smart adapter and EF lenses but not with NEX lenses and camera in APS-C mode) - Problem solved - issue is related to the Metabones adapter - simply enabling advanced mode solves it!

On the whole being able to film evening receptions without resorting to an onboard light was the main reason I got this camera and i'm happy enough with it - I can't react as quickly with a DSLR to changing events as I can with a 'proper' video camera but the compromise is worth it - I'll get better with practice I suppose.
Peter, I have the new A7II as well as a Panny GH4 and GH3. I really picked the A7II up more for photography and wanting a full frame for a long time. But I read the A99 sucked for video and saw tests of the little NEX 5N (I also have one of) being sharper out of the camera for deep depth of field when wanted than A99 after post work)

Anyway I just came to search specifically to see if any other comments about the MORONIC placement of the video button on these cameras and not allowing in film or video mode you to use the shutter release for pause / record. Ding ding ding. Like Panasonic does.

I've been doing event work for 28 years and I mean this seriously, out of all of the cameras and camcorders and now "DSLR" type shooting rigs I have owned over that period of time, I have never had any function or ergonomic concern that I HATE as much as the placement of that stupid record button.

The right thumb normally rests up by the viewfinder and to move the thumb far to right and backwards requires shifting the weight (if not using a rig or monopod or tripod) of the camera dangerously down in the palm with only pretty much the bottom 2 fingers now holding the grip. For sure the left hand has to make sure you don't drop it. Plus I have to look over every time (still early with the new camera) to make sure where it is to record or pause. This guarantees a big hand motion glitch at the beginning and end of every clip.

If no way at all to put that button up near the viewfinder, then for god's sake allow the shooter to use the shutter release when in the video / film mode.

LOL. There I feel better. Had to come in and vent. Come on Sony. Is this anything that could be implemented with firmware, or it's totally a hardware, can't change it issue on these A7 cameras? How come Panasonic thought this through with the shutter option and Sony couldn't or didn't want to? Were they protecting their high priced gear by not making shooting with the A7 cameras TOO convenient?
Ron Fabienke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR