Sony a7S S-Log 2 Footage Available for Download at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old August 10th, 2014, 05:45 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony a7S S-Log 2 Footage Available for Download

For anyone interested in some S-log 2 video files from the a7S, you can find it here: DerranNL: Sony a7S Hands on Review - Footage Available for Download

This is my first S-log 2 grading attempt with the Sony a7S:
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony a7S S-Log 2 Footage Available for Download

Hi Derran,

Thanks for posting these. I've downloaded two of the files, and am in process on the third, and I'm seeing a relative lack of sharpness. It almost looks like there is a focus issue, but I've seen a few other clips that indicate the 1080 image off the A7s isn't as sharp as it could be. (James Miller has put a 4k:HD scaler box on his to get finer results). But it does almost look like your footage is backfocused.

Thoughts?

Barry
Old August 20th, 2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Barry, the picture profile I used with this S-Log 2 footage has less sharpness then "normal" footage so you can add it in post to your liking. It's also shot in 50p which also reduces resolution if I'm not mistaken. I haven't been able to try out recording in 4K myself, but the standard image quality coming from the A7S is very sharp with lots of detail.

Here's a video still at 100% and unaltered that will give a better impression (couldn't upload to the forum unfortunately): https://www.dropbox.com/s/2f0e9hj5lj...l_DerranNL.png
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Derran. Thet still looks a lot better, although it still seems to a notch down in detail from what I typically see on my C300. (It's always hard to tell though....so take that with a grain of salt).

I'm sure once the 4k option is available, this camera will have no problems providing more detail than we can ever use.
Old February 9th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi Derran

Thanks for your footage just practicing on the s-log in film convert here are the results with a few touches. seems nice.
All film convert s-log preset, unsharp mask added 75 and at 1.2
added saturation by 150
grain down to 35%
scopes used to fine tune light
Attached Thumbnails
Sony a7S S-Log 2 Footage Available for Download-sequence-01.still003.jpg   Sony a7S S-Log 2 Footage Available for Download-sequence-01.still002.jpg  

Sony a7S S-Log 2 Footage Available for Download-sequence-01.still001.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Bleasdale; February 9th, 2015 at 02:58 PM. Reason: pics not uploaded
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 10:10 AM   #6
Major Player

Nice work with the color grading Steve!

I've learned a lot since I filmed this while working with the A7s. You can get better results with S-Log by overexposing the footage a little bit. The footage I've provided here is pretty dark to begin with, which makes it difficult to get all the information back from the darker parts without making noise visible. The brighter parts however, are easier to bring back to normal levels.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR