Sony A7s aps-c lenses? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old August 21st, 2014, 09:52 AM   #1
Tourist

Sony A7s aps-c lenses?

Hello. I know that the Sony A7s has aps-c film mode. Does it mean that apsc lenses will work correctly with this camera? If yes, Is anybody here who tested 18-105 PZ lens with A7s?
What about pillow dostortion? Is it reduced by camera software?
And what about zoom and image stabilization?
Edgar Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony A7s aps-c lenses?

I don't know about that lens, I have the 18-200 and it works fine, keep in mind that if you shoot in APS-C mode, you need to shoot at 1080 60P, that is the only frame rate that gives you good resolution and same quality as full frame mode of 24P and 30P, and also you will also have more noise in APS-C mode, probably about 1 to 1 and 1/2 F stop less.
Old August 21st, 2014, 10:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

With the direct read out on the A7s sensor im finding the aps-c mode is very good in fact I'm using it more than I thought with the full frame lenses when needed to get extra reach.
The 18-105 Pz works fine and auto corrects for distortion and is nice and light so balances perfect with the A7s.
After giving up with the original A7 in Aps- c mode and full frame not much after!! I can't believe how much better the A7s video is even in bright daylight .
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #4
Major Player

I was in Nashville over the weekend checking out my friends a7s with the 24-70 F4 lens. Amazing footage!

Has anyone else been using aps-c lenses with success on the video front? Just curious because there seems to be a lot more choices as opposed to Full Frame E mount.

Thanks.
Old September 29th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #5
Wrangler

Yes and I'm surprised how well it worked!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR