powering Sony a7s with external 12V battery - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old February 5th, 2015, 11:29 AM   #16
Wrangler

Re: powering Sony a7s with external 12V battery

I was linking to the P-tap cable, they've added those battery solutions to the page since. I myself use Anton Bauer Dionics which are priced similarly, I suppose "outrageous" is all relative.
Old April 18th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #17
Trustee

Woodencamera.com also makes various accessories and battery adapters for A7s.
And they won't be cheap ;-) They are well made from what I saw at NAB.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 08:54 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I got this for a little over $20
Amazon.com : BestDealUSA AC Power Supply Adapter For Sony AC-PW20 7.6V 2A : Camera & Photo

The Small Rig Sony NP970 battery plate plugs right into the dummy battery cable and will give me more than 3 hours.

The A7s will only record 29 minutes internally and no 4k. So I got an Odyssey 7Q+.
So far I have not needed much more than 3 hours continuous recording,
but The 7Q+ is also a battery hog and that same NP970 battery will not last 3 hours,
so I got a dummy battery for the 7Q+ and plugged it into a 32,000 mAh Poweradd.

With power to spare, I am sure it will last for days hooked only to the A7s doing a sequence of stills.
I ordered a 2.1mm DC cable splitter to see if it will run the Camera and Recorder at the same time.
Roger Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #19
New Boot

My plan is to power the A7S with the video devices pix-e recorder which can hold two two of these.
S-8972 DV Battery for Sony NP-F970/770
They have an extra 7.2 V DC out to be connected to a second device which will be the A7s via a battery dummy. And the pix-e will switch from one to the other battery when needed. Will that work? If yes, it may be as good as the atomos powerstation.
Albrecht Ziburski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 03:18 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I'm interested in this guy's solution - he uses an xtpower battery but this outputs 9v - will the a7s run off a dummy battery supplied with 9v? even though the actual batteries are 7.2v?

Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
I'm interested in this guy's solution - he uses an xtpower battery but this outputs 9v - will the a7s run off a dummy battery supplied with 9v? even though the actual batteries are 7.2v?
I am not sure what the upper limit is that the A7s can handle.
It certainly handles 8.4 volts well.
This is typically what my Sony NP batteries show at full charge.

I just started using the new (BestBatt.com) NP-F990 with great results.
The 7.2 volt battery is taller and weighs close to one pound but actually delivers way over the 3 hours of recording I need. It is (I think correctly) rated at 10400mAh and 74.9Wh.
Roger Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #22
Regular Crew

The A7s takes 9v with no problem. I bought one of the dummy batteries and power it from an Anker Astro Pro Powerbank.

I have the newer version with doesn't have the 19v option but the old model does, 5v on USB, 9v/12v or 19v on a dc jack.

I just made a cable with the correct connector and running the A7s for 90min uses about 15% of the battery according to the display on the anker.

I must admit having all those voltages from a 20000mAh battery for less than $80/ £50 is incredibly useful. I can use it for ipads or anything that needs usb or power my smallhd monitors etc.

Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro2 20000mAh Multi-Voltage 4-Port: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Michael Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #23
Regular Crew

If you are worried about using a 12 volt battery on your A series camera, you can get a regulated dummy battery and connect that to an external power source.
Roger Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR