A7S S-Log footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old October 13th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #1
Major Player

A7S S-Log footage

Does anyone have any footage from a A7S, just wanted to see how the footage holds up to grading, etc?

Because it seems the output through HDMI won't allow true S-Log by the comments I've seen, so wanted to see how the in camera holds up to colour grading and how much leeway you get with it.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: A7S S-Log footage

There are a couple of links on dvinfo where you can download A7S footage, 24p and 50p but I can't currently locate them. Seeing you are in the UK I have re-uploaded the 50p footage from one of the Dutch posters who kindly posted a link to this footage originally. Included is an MP4 encoded at 5000 kbps where I had quick play at having a grade of the material. I found the footage quite solid to work with in spite of it being 8-bit.

www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/6lsxs9

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, I'll take a look. I was just wondering if with it being only 8 bit, it would be that good at grading, as it seems may struggle to get 10bit out of it with the current issue of the HDMI not outputting the correct range of the S-log to the external recorders.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #4
Trustee

The A7s has no ten bit capability. It is HDMI 8-bit only although it is 4:2:2.
If you are interested in how to handle and get the best out of the footage from the A7s Alistair has done a pretty comprehensive job in covering these topics.

Exposing and Using S-Log2 on the Sony A7s. Part One: Gamma and Exposure. | XDCAM-USER.COM

Alister’s Blog | XDCAM-USER.COM

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Oh right, I thought it outputted 10 bit from the HDMI, guess not.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR