DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-alpha-mirrorless-dslr/)
-   -   odd video glitch and right angle viewfinder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-alpha-mirrorless-dslr/525720-odd-video-glitch-right-angle-viewfinder.html)

Chris Tangey November 13th, 2014 01:57 AM

odd video glitch and right angle viewfinder

Two things. Last night while using the A7S with a metabones, Canon L 70-200 with 2 X converter I came across something odd. Every time I hit the record button it would immediately "zoom" to a closer shot. At first I thought I must have had the APS-C mode on, but checked (twice) and it was clearly off. Was it just the view I was getting? No, it recorded that way too. So a normal view before recording, the moment I hit record it jumped to a much closer shot even though I was fully extended at the time. I'm sure it's not some sort of digital zoom as that is about the first thing I turn off on any new camera I get. Any ideas?

Secondly I am trying to find the correct right angle viewfinder for the A7S, I am thinking it is this one: SONY ANGLE FINDER FOR ALPHA (FDAA1AM) DLSRA100

But nowhere, anywhere, even on Sony websites can I see the A7s specifically listed. Web searches
have left me blank, even on blogs. Again, would appreciate your help on this.

Chris Tangey November 21st, 2014 04:52 AM

Re: odd video glitch and right angle viewfinder

The world's best read this forum, and nil response 8 days later. Incredible.

Noa Put November 21st, 2014 05:17 AM

Well, nobody is getting paid to solve your problems here so you hardly can't demand any answers, just ask nicely and maybe someone will respond.

Dave Blackhurst November 21st, 2014 12:37 PM

Try to keep in mind there aren't as many Sony users, and the ones who are here may not share the same gear... I WISH I had a A7s... but I do have enough Sony cameras to venture a guess as to what you're seeing...

Only thing I can think of offhand is that you're in photo mode, and you'll see a crop and jump in when you hit record - that's pretty "standard" behavior, but it might be a bit jarring if you're not expecting it? If you're in the video mode, it should display what you'll get when you hit record. It is an annoying thing when you're shooting photos and video and use the record button to switch modes, but since it's a consistent change, it's workable. If you're already in video mode... no idea at all on what's happening!

As far as the viewfinder, you'll probably have to either find someone with the A7S who has access to the viewfinder, or find one you can test yourself. I can see from the US Sony site that it's designed for the full size Alpha DSLT's, but there's a chance the plastic behind the eyecup is the same. Sony is very strange about compatibility sometimes... you have to do your own research, and sometimes even then, things don't quite work as expected... the MULTI interface is wildly mixed as to compatibility!

I DO have Alpha cameras that are on the compatibility list, and perhaps I can take some pictures and measurements of what's under the eyecup and you could compare to what's under yours... that might shed SOME light on the situation as to whether the "plastics" might line/match up, but it's still not a 100% guarantee that the optics will match your A7S....

I "suspect" that the viewfinder will work, IF the mount matches up, BUT after playing with MULTI shoe and MULTI USB compatibility "issues", unless I have the parts in my hand and confirmed they work, I hesitate to give any confidence to that possible outcome!

Chris Tangey November 21st, 2014 07:06 PM

OK Dave, thanks a lot for your attempt but the situation I described was also happening in video mode. One thing I have discovered (and this will need more testing) is that it only seems to happen when I am shooting at 100fps (PAL slomo) It is very odd indeed. It wouldn't surprise me if the metabones has something to do with it, it is a clunky thing that sits too tight on some L-series lenses and too loose on others, apart from entirely losing connectivity at other times. Maybe it is somehow triggering APS-C mode when talking to the A7S even when the camera says it is off!

As far as the right angle viewer goes I just thought that by now this would be identified, as the A7s is really
aimed at video people compared to the other Alphas. As you know this type of viewfinder has been standard on all pro cameras for decades for very good reason and I would consider it a necessity, not an add-on option. Otherwise you are severely limited in what you can shoot and where.

...and Noa... I wasn't "demanding" anything I was simply stating my incredulity that nobody had answers to these two issues even on the best site on the planet!

Matt Sharp November 21st, 2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Tangey (Post 1868502)
.. the situation I described was also happening in video mode. One thing I have discovered (and this will need more testing) is that it only seems to happen when I am shooting at 100fps (PAL slomo) It is very odd indeed.

From page 72 of the manual "• When [ Record Setting] is set to [120p 50M]/[100p 50M], [APS-C Size Capture]
is set to [On]."

Does it crop without the metabones?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Tangey (Post 1867622)
Secondly I am trying to find the correct right angle viewfinder for the A7S, I am thinking it is this one: SONY ANGLE FINDER FOR ALPHA (FDAA1AM) DLSRA100

As this angle finder works with the A700, I pulled the stock eye hood off my A700 and it fits the A7S. You'll probably lose the use of the eye sensor but it will mount up.

Chris Tangey November 24th, 2014 05:25 AM

OK, very well done Matt Sharp. I think you have solved BOTH. Next time I have an issue I will address it directly to you I think!