Cameras like a7s used in ENG style? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old February 13th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Cameras like a7s used in ENG style?

I didn't like turning the wheel to adjust ISO (personal preference - I kept scrolling past the ISO setting I wanted) so I've assigned ISO to the bottom press of the wheel, which somehow feels easier.

Just added a Beachtek XLR box to my A7s, and initial test shows there's no background noise when using it with a Sony radio mic.
Attached Thumbnails
Cameras like a7s used in ENG style?-20150213_150228_1.jpg  
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 10:38 PM   #17
Major Player

I like to stay lightweight, so I recently picked up a simple dual XLR female to Stereo Mini adapter. Haven't used it on a production yet, but just did a bunch of tests coming out of a mixer (with its outputs set to mic level) and the camera volume level around 8 -- and everything recorded perfectly. Of course I usually work with a sound person, and they will also record on their mixer as a backup as well.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 12:26 AM   #18
Major Player

Just finished a multi-day doc-style shoot. Here's the setup:

Instagram

Major differences from my previous post were changing to a Westside AV Sony L battery adaptor with leads for both the A7S and the Odyssey 7Q+ (also added for this shoot.) I also added a vertical cheese plate to mount both the battery mount as well as the JuicedLink together. Nice and compact, all things considered. Forgot to bring my shoulder pad, and Sony Ls drain fast when powering both a 7Q and the A7S, but other than that, pretty happy with this setup. Did about 50/50 tripod vs. handheld. Also, note the Sony wireless receiver mounted on the hotshoe.
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:32 AM   #19
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Ryan Douthit;1871812]This is an A7S setup I use for R+G.

Hi Ryan, I have a question about the A7s.
Are you able to use it "Stand Alone" ?

I need something for unattended extended indoor Videos of up to 3 hours.
I currently use a GH4 with 12-35 lens, one internal battery, and one internal SD card.
I am also trying out the Panasonic HC-X1000.
Both are pushed to the limit by the poor light I have to film in.
Extra Lights are not an option.
Roger Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 10:42 AM   #20
Major Player

When recording internally the A7S is limited to 29 minute clips. Externally, only battery and capacity limit. So, anything that takes HDMI out should work. Ninja star, Odyssey 7Q+, etc.
Old February 21st, 2015, 11:20 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Yes, you can use an external recorder for longer Videos.

But, How good is the FullTime AutoFocus?

Could I use the A7s on a TriPod unattended to shoot a slowly moving object inside the area the lens is capable of shooting without adjustment or moving the camera after it is set up?
I assume that I would be using a Sony AF lens such as the 24-70 f/4.

What if I were a one man crew and wanted to get in the Video?
Old February 21st, 2015, 11:40 AM   #22
Inner Circle

You want a full frame dslr to shoot for 3 hours unattended in autofocus in poorly lit environments? That's asking for problems if you ask me, what exactly are you planning on shooting?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 01:10 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I am shooting 2-3 hours of Bowling and want higher resolution and faster shutter speed to critique the hand release.
I am using a GH4 and HC-X1000 and they are pretty much maxed out at 120s shutter in that light.

A DX Sensor or close to it could do just fine.
My D5300 can do up to 12800 (barely) usable ISO but only records 1080P60 for 10 minutes (Shogun is fix for that).
But the FullTime AutoFocus sucks so it is not good for unattended Video.
Old September 5th, 2015, 03:08 PM   #24
Trustee

I have decided to take the A7s plunge.......using one for ENG night shooting, when subject matter is stationary and I can walk around and up to incident subject matter. Going to put a 24-240 on it, but thinking I could use one of those little cages. Can someone recommend a wraparound cage that could not interfere with the quick operation of any vital controls, and offer a handle on top?

I think Peters set-up looks nicer than the two grip versions I see all the time. Unfortunately, in ENG work, typically both of my hands are constantly manipulating dials and controls.....very rare for me to use hands just to hold something while it does it's thing.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 06:40 AM   #25
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
I have decided to take the A7s plunge.......using one for ENG night shooting, when subject matter is stationary and I can walk around and up to incident subject matter. Going to put a 24-240 on it, but thinking I could use one of those little cages. Can someone recommend a wraparound cage that could not interfere with the quick operation of any vital controls, and offer a handle on top?

I think Peters set-up looks nicer than the two grip versions I see all the time. Unfortunately, in ENG work, typically both of my hands are constantly manipulating dials and controls.....very rare for me to use hands just to hold something while it does it's thing.

Paul
I use my A7s ENG style all the time with my cage, it is available here:
Sony a7S shoulder kit: Westside A V Studios WEB Store

All the controls are accessible as well as battery and card. The optional big batty holder is great both for stability and long battery life. The shoulder parts quickly removable and optional.

The hot shoe is also available and I like using the top of the cage as a handle, it works well that way but you can easily add any type of handle to the top, I make those of wood or aluminum as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Cameras like a7s used in ENG style?-sonya7skit.jpg   Cameras like a7s used in ENG style?-sonya7skit7.jpg  

Cameras like a7s used in ENG style?-sonya7ssharyn3.jpg   Cameras like a7s used in ENG style?-sonya7scage2.jpg  

Old September 6th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Olaf could you provide a link to the big battery solution - I did see it once but now cannot find it.

Thanks

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #27
Trustee

Hi Paul, this is my A7s rig. I use the Movcam cage which I believe helps in stabilising the camera and also I use the Sony XLR-K1M audio kit, (not attached in this photo)
My main lens is the Sony 28-135mm f4 which is fantastic I think.

It's not cheap to get a small rig like this but sure beats lugging around my large EMG kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Cameras like a7s used in ENG style?-a7slenscage.jpg  
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 05:22 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
I have decided to take the A7s plunge.......using one for ENG night shooting, when subject matter is stationary and I can walk around and up to incident subject matter. Going to put a 24-240 on it, but thinking I could use one of those little cages.

Paul
Paul,

I've followed your others posts as I also own the Sony PXW-X180. I'm also looking to expand to another camera. As you are getting the A7S, did you also consider the new Sony A7RII? I know it is about $700 more but has some nice additional features (internal 4K). (I ask as you have more knowledge and experience than I do.)

John
John Kofonow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #29
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Olaf could you provide a link to the big battery solution - I did see it once but now cannot find it.

Thanks

Pete
Peter, do you mean a brick size battery? Like an AB or IDX V-mount or Gold-Mount.

If so I can do those as well, but bear in mind those batteries are 14.8v and I use the voltage regulated plates for this.

Contact me directly for a quote on those for the A7s.
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:29 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I finally got the A7s only because of the Low Light capability but almost sent it back to get a D750 instead.
The handling, lack of controls, lousy Auto ISO, recording limits, wimpy battery and mediocre codec were hard to deal with.
Then I saw what it could do with an external 7Q+ 4k recorder and kept it.
The 28-135 cine lens adds lots of control. I would rather have it than all the other FE lens combined.

I got a dummy battery and started using NP970 batteries on a Sony L plate that last almost 3 hours. Finally I found that BestBatt.com has a new 7.2 volt NP990 10400mAh battery. I can now record over 3 hours unattended with plenty of power to spare.

It is rumored that an affordable Sony FS type CamCorder with A7s Sensor will be announced very soon.
That would be a better option for nearly all of us except they will be sold out for months.

Last edited by Roger Martin; September 7th, 2015 at 08:43 AM.
Roger Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR