Shot on A7S. SLog2. Run and Gun. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old January 29th, 2015, 12:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Shot on A7S. SLog2. Run and Gun.

After shooting this with a SmallHD DP4 on the A7S I decided I needed to get a monitor I could load a LUT into. Time was tight, and the outdoor scenes were blisteringly cold. We had about 3 hours to knock out this entire episode. The host flew in from New York City (his flight was delayed) and I flew in from Seattle.

Overall, love the flexibility of the A7S. I recently ordered an Odyssey 7Q+. That should take care of my focusing issues as well as provide some nice 4k flexibility (cropping) for future shoots like this.

Old January 29th, 2015, 05:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Shot on A7S. SLog2. Run and Gun.

You shot ALL that in 3 hours? you're a hero!

What focussing issues have you had with the A7s - I ditched my 5D3 for the A7s precisely because it had the focussing aids lacking on the Canon

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:11 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Shot on A7S. SLog2. Run and Gun.

Yes. Mostly. I did shoot the battery acid cleaning part as a pick-up (those are my hands). Plus, they didn't have a snow tire there, so I had to get the tread detail shot later. But otherwise, yup.

Focusing is normally fine. However, when it's not a staged situation and my aperture is wide open (as I seem to often shoot in areas lacking light, this happens quite a lot), I find I'm often hunting for focus. Also, when tracking vehicles with a fairly open aperture, I'm having an issue with that. The joy of a large sensor.

Edit: I should add that SLog2 is particularly tricky to focus because the image is so very flat.

Last edited by Ryan Douthit; January 29th, 2015 at 10:51 AM.
Ryan Douthit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR