Kitchen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old February 24th, 2015, 11:06 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Kitchen

I've recently had a new kitchen fitted so I picked up my A7s and filmed a bit to send to the designer so she could see how her plan worked out

Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Kitchen

Why is there so much aliasing artefacts? Did you use fulframe mode with 50P?
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 10:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes full frame @ 50p - downsized to 1080X720 6Mbps target I'm not seeing many artifacts?
Old February 25th, 2015, 12:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Take a look at the door handles. They are living in most shots.
Avoid to use FF at 50P. Its a mode, that can`t (like 120P) make use of full sensor reading. Its terrible compared to FF in 25P (or APS-C in both 25P and 50P). 25P has a clean - perfectly detailed sharp picture absolutelly free of moire and aliasing.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen-capture.jpg  
Old February 26th, 2015, 02:15 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Ivan the reason I used 50p is I wanted really slow tracking movements, my slider is a glidetrack which is an igus slider and sticks a little when sliding slowly - for a slow consistant speed I push it fairly quickly and slow it down 50% on the timeline - 25p would not allow me this
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes - i know. I would love 50P in my A7S in full frame too. But nothing is perfect.
One of biggest advantages of this camera is full readout of the sensor - not possible in this mode.
I love smooth slow slider movements too. For this i decided to buy the fantastic edelkrone slider with action and target module. It let me realize beuatifull movements, that are impossible manually.
Old February 27th, 2015, 05:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Ivan I'm a little confused - are you saying the A7s does not use the full sensor in 50p mode? does using 50p mode engage crop sensor as in APS mode?

I can't find any reference to this in the manual.

Pete
Old February 27th, 2015, 05:49 AM   #8
Major Player

You have to use crop mode if you are using 50/60P or you will get that horrendous aliasing. Or.....just shoot organic soft BG subjects that don't have a lot of fine detail. Then it works.
Old February 27th, 2015, 03:43 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Ivan I'm a little confused - are you saying the A7s does not use the full sensor in 50p mode? does using 50p mode engage crop sensor as in APS mode?
This has nothing to do with cropping. Its the method for downscaling from 12Mpx sensor to needed 2Mpx for HD picture. A7S use ‘direct pixel readout’ utilizing the entire width of the full-frame image sensor without line skipping or pixel binning. Therefore in both HD and 4K 25P video acquisition it can read and process data from every one of the sensor’s pixels.
50P have to be twice as faster... and this is probably not possible at this technology level.
There is 50P - but only at the "old school" technology level. The some for 120P.
APS-C is smaler and can be read faster - so its at the best quality in 50P too.
Old March 10th, 2015, 06:30 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Of course the downside to that is my lenses are all EF and crop when the camera is set to APS-C mode - I could use my speedbooster but that's usually attached to my EA50 and certainly during a wedding shoot don't have time to do all the juggling around.
Old March 13th, 2015, 07:43 AM   #11
Regular Crew

What lens did you use? james
Old March 14th, 2015, 06:33 AM   #12
Inner Circle

James I used a Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 - I also use Canon 24-105mm f4.0, Canon 70-20mm f2.8 and a Samyang 14mm

All for full frame cameras (EF mount)

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR