longer hdmi cable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old April 29th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #1
Major Player

longer hdmi cable

When connecting the a7s to my Shogun with a 2mtr hdmi cable it all works fine. When using a 5mtr cable I get no input, even though the specs of the cable say it is 4K compatible. Tried it with two cables of different brands. Does anyone know why, or even better, have a solution?
Old May 1st, 2015, 09:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: longer hdmi cable

Is this 5 meter long cable Full to Full or Micro to Full?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:16 AM   #3
Major Player

It's micro to full. So no additional connector that may cause loss of signal.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I know from some longer cables that there is one particular end that needs to be plugged into the the receiving device and the other end needs to plug into the sending device. You might want to make sure your cable isn't one of those, and especially that if it is, that the "To TV" connector is the full HDMI and not the micro. Which, it doesn't seem logical to make the "To TV" end the micro, but you never know.

You can also try your cable with the A7S in 1080 mode and see if that works too if you haven't already. That would help know where the issue lies.

UPDATE: I have a 3 meter long cable (longest I own) that is micro to Full. Micro head has "Source" on it and Full head has "TV" on it. Works fine with 4K and 10-bit. Those extra 2 meters with yours could be making all the difference, but I would definitely check to see if you have Source and TV listed on your cable and which ends they are printed on.

Last edited by Gary Huff; May 3rd, 2015 at 08:37 AM.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Gary,

When I switch to 1080p it all wrks fine. So it has nothing to do with the wrong direction of the cable. It also works with my Gopro at 2.7K. I think it is just due to the size of the data that it gets messed up in the longer cable.
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #6
Major Player

Would it be that the data rate is higher at 4K than with 1080p and even 2.7K?
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 11:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Might be.
Also noticed that when using my a7s/Shogun combo with a 2 mtrs cable I sometimes get a frame with a horizontal line/block of pixels that are white. Always at the lower part of the picture, but at changing places. Which looks to me like a glitch in the transformation of data to the Shogun. Never noticed this before when using a short cable. It seems that it is only safe to use short cables.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR