DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-alpha-mirrorless-dslr/)
-   -   Sony 28-135 f4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-alpha-mirrorless-dslr/528398-sony-28-135-f4.html)

James Hollingsworth May 13th, 2015 01:52 AM

Sony 28-135 f4

Hello all. Just wondered if anyone is using the 28-135 f4 zoom lens on an A7s? Do you find it cumbersome, I imagine that if you use the power zoom, it must eat batteries. Can you even get an hour of continuous recording when using the power zoom? Many thanks for any assistance.

Roger Martin June 4th, 2015 05:48 PM

Re: Sony 28-135 f4

You are lucky if you get an hour of continuous recording on the A7s.
Mine is limited to 29 minutes internally and won't go one full hour if recording externally only.
One time I got a longer external recording by turning off the camera LCD monitor but have not figured how I did that with the Ninja II.
I am now using the Odyssey 7Q+ to DownRes 4k to 1080P60 with much better results but actually need close to 3 hours and don't like only getting less than 2 with a grip.
I've tried 4 different aftermarket batteries and although all are higher rated, none last much longer the the Sony ones.

My friend uses the 28-135 on his A7s and FS7.
He did not send it back and thinks it is worth the money.
It comes with a TriPod mount that you use instead of the camera because it is heavier than the A7s.

Richard D. George June 6th, 2015 01:22 PM

Reviews are positive. B&H Photo Video has a video review.

Simon Denny June 6th, 2015 08:26 PM

This lens seems to get a lot of mixed reactions on the web and i wonder if it's coming from operators that have never used it.

The images I have seen with the A7S look fantastic and I would like one on my camera.

Simon Denny June 7th, 2015 03:01 AM

Here is some inspiration.

Roger Martin June 12th, 2015 08:09 AM

Out of the box, the Sony 28-135 f/4 Cine is an awesome lens.

I have the A7s mounted to it, not the other way around.

It is supported by the foot upon a Giottos sliding mount.

Right now it is also on a mini movie head/TriPod so I can stare at it while typing.

I would describe it as a heavy/compact lens but not much heavier/bigger than my 28-70 Nikkor with adapter.

The controls are wonderful and there are switches that can turn features on instead of constant camera menu diving.

In full manual the rings are geared right and easy to use. No real need for focus handles/gears like on the Nikkor.

Today I will find out how good the optics are in poor/low light and Sunday how good the AutoFocus and Zoom features are.

Who-ah, I just installed the hood and put the rig into camera bag while getting ready for Bowling. With hood it filled the entire center/main compartment of my Pro 8 Tamrac. Barely room to put the mini TriPod on top with both in individual bags to protect from each other. Side pockets are full of batteries and holders and front pocket full of Odyssey 4k recorder stuff.

RRRoger

Peter Rush June 12th, 2015 08:48 AM

Roger I'm interested in how the autofocus works for video - let us know your thoughts

Pete

Roger Martin June 12th, 2015 09:26 AM

So far, I can say that it hunts no more than other Sony lens on an A7s.
Evidently the AutoFocus works exceedingly well on an FS7 or so my buddy says that has both.
The FS7 has the ability to slow the focus down for Video.

I will be putting the it to the test in poor/low light Sunday on my A7s.

Roger Martin June 14th, 2015 07:02 PM

OK it is done.
Because the ViewSonic projector is set for 43Hz horizontal frequency,
I lowered the A7s to 40 fps to get out most of the lines and even the picture quality was better.
I still need to find out how to adjust the Pro 8520HD to 60
The AF worked really well until the Sermon.
Then with the Pastor standing to the side of the screen, it got a little confused/out of focus.
I pulled the focus ring toward me and viola manual focus kicked in.
I only had to move the ring about an eight of an inch and the 2x magnifier on the 7Q+ showed perfect focus.

I have now come to the conclusion that the 28-135 Cine lens is a must for Video, so is the 7Q+.

Roger Martin June 23rd, 2015 07:10 AM

The included "wimpy" Sony battery last long enough to record a 29 minute Video internally.
Because my battery grip only last twice as long, I replaced it with a Neewer "dummy" battery'
There is a little notch that expands to let the cord out.
The Small Rig Battery Plate for SONY F970 plugs right into it.
I can now record way over 3 hours unattended with a 7Q+ that has a Indipro dummy battery plugged into a 32,000 mAh Powerad.
Not sure how well the Powerad will work on the A7s because the lowest setting is 9 volts. The A7s has to have regulator because the stock fully charged battery can be as high as 8 volts so it should handle 9 and give you a couple days continuous shooting capability.

The Sony 28-135 Cine lens continues to work flawlessly.
Saturday June 27 I will put the combination to the outdoor test at Woodside Equestrian Center
My Niece Jenni is competing in the main Event, the Grand Prix.

Peter Rush June 23rd, 2015 08:51 AM

Roger can you provide a link for the Neewer "dummy" battery' - I cannot find it

Cheers

Pete

Roger Martin June 23rd, 2015 12:20 PM

Pete,

$20.50 at Amazon

BestDealUSA AC Power Supply Adapter For Sony AC-PW20 7.6V 2A by Neewer

Amazon.com : BestDealUSA AC Power Supply Adapter For Sony AC-PW20 7.6V 2A : Camera & Photo