A6000 Low Light Performance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old July 16th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #1
Inner Circle

A6000 Low Light Performance

Hi All - I'm looking at this camera combined with E-Mount 16mm pancake lens and wide adapter as a stedicam camera (Merlin) I do need it for indoor work however, especially dark wedding evening receptions - any comments about it's low light performance?

I'm currently using a NEX VG-20 for this and it doesn't preform too well when the lights go down

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: A6000 Low Light Performance

I've had the A6000 since it was released in the UK and love it as a stills camera and a B-roll video camera. Low light is nowhere near as good as the A7s, but about what I would expect for a mid price APS-C camera.

This was taken at ISO 3200 https://flic.kr/p/oCWB5p

This video was done at the same time with the 16mm f2.8 Sony and the wide adapter and also the Sony 50mm f1.8
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #3
Major Player

It will depend more on your lens. I used the old 5R with a samyang 24 on a speedbooster and while not as bright as the same lens on the A7S it's closer to the A7S+samyang than to the 5R+stock lens. Unless you're getting an A7S I'd just get a faster lens. (Maybe add a Sigma 18-35 1.8)
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I already have a Samyang 14mm and dumb speedbooster, it does the focal reduction but not Iris control but as this is a manual lens it's not a problem - think that might do the job.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR