Black bars when underexposing the A7S?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old August 16th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #1
Trustee

Black bars when underexposing the A7S??

Guys, I just got an A7S and while doing some test I've realized that when I underexpose while filming I get some strange horizontal black bars. This doesn't happen with stills, only video. I've tested with the Zeiss 55mm 1.8 and with a Sigma 28mm 1.8 with the LAEA4. Anyone knows what's going on? I've checked the sensor and it seems fine (if it was the sensor then this should happen during stills too). I've also ran the in camera "auto sensor clean" (or whatever it's called)

Here is a test to show you guys what I'm talking about (I've just uploaded it so it may take like 15 minutes to become available on vimeo):

[VIDEO]https://vimeo.com/136465497[/VIDEO]
Old August 16th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Black bars when underexposing the A7S??

Your link does not work.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #3
Trustee

Yes, I've said on my initial post that it should take like 15 minutes for vimeo to process it.

But I'm thinking it might be a combination of shutter and light frequency. I've tested lowering the shutter speed to 50 and closing down the aperture and the bars went away. I'm going to test in daylight tomorrow...if it doesn't happen then it's the fluorescent lights.
Old August 17th, 2015, 12:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Usually a wrong shutter can cause these kind of lines when shooting under indoor light but then those line move vertically, only yours stay still. You can test if it is this by changing your shutter while shooting, those lines should change position and or size or disappear, if not something else is going on.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Agreed, shutter speed.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR