Sony A7s II - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old September 15th, 2015, 01:06 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Sony A7s II

Check B&H reviews.........prob not an issue with these cameras.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:06 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
As soon as in Uk i will be getting it. Best lens Pete? I have tamron 24-70 as you know, 50mm 1.4 but need a stabilzed lens, should i just get the new sony 85, 55mm
Steve for me I use 4 lenses during a wedding shoot. I'll start by saying I don't use primes - I would love to if I didn't work alone but as I do I find them to limiting in a fast paced environment.

I use Tamron 24-70 2.8 (With metabones smart adapter) for bridal prep and then switch to Zeiss 24-70 f4 for the guest arrivals (autofocus handy here). For ceremony and speeches I use the Canon 24-105 f4 which I use with a Speedbooster that renders the camera into APS-C mode, but gives me f2.8 and a longer reach. For afternoon reception again I use the Zeiss and for evening reception I'm back to the Tamron. The other lens I use is the Sony 16mm pancake lens for some architecture and cake shots etc - with this lens the camera needs to be in APS-C mode.

I think the Zeiss is overpriced for what it is - I don't like the focus by wire arrangement and the imaging I would say is on par with Canon L glass - despite this lens costing more - In terms of image quality the tamron reigns. I bought the Zeiss purely for it's autofocus and for that price it should have been f2.8 but being the A7s, F4 is ok. Zeiss/Sony do an A-mount 24-70 f2.8 but you'd need an adapter and it's a whopping £1,300

The autofocus on the Zeiss 24-70 is not as snappy as e-mount lenses on my old NEX-EA50 but the A7s II reportedly has improved this (twice as fast apparently)

If primes are your thing then Zeiss make a lot, and they get good reviews, and maybe someone else can weigh in.

Regarding stabilisation - as the A7sII has 5 axis in-camera stabilisation giving 4 stops surely any lens will do no?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:24 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Claflin View Post
I am surprised to see B&H with it starting at 2999 USD, just 500 USD over the current Sony A7s.
Well lucky you, on this side of the pond the a7s is 2040 euro and I found the first Dutch store that has the a7sII at 3400 euro.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Steve for me I use 4 lenses during a wedding shoot. I'll start by saying I don't use primes - I would love to if I didn't work alone but as I do I find them to limiting in a fast paced environment.

I use Tamron 24-70 2.8 (With metabones smart adapter) for bridal prep and then switch to Zeiss 24-70 f4 for the guest arrivals (autofocus handy here). For ceremony and speeches I use the Canon 24-105 f4 which I use with a Speedbooster that renders the camera into APS-C mode, but gives me f2.8 and a longer reach. For afternoon reception again I use the Zeiss and for evening reception I'm back to the Tamron. The other lens I use is the Sony 16mm pancake lens for some architecture and cake shots etc - with this lens the camera needs to be in APS-C mode.

I think the Zeiss is overpriced for what it is - I don't like the focus by wire arrangement and the imaging I would say is on par with Canon L glass - despite this lens costing more - In terms of image quality the tamron reigns. I bought the Zeiss purely for it's autofocus and for that price it should have been f2.8 but being the A7s, F4 is ok. Zeiss/Sony do an A-mount 24-70 f2.8 but you'd need an adapter and it's a whopping £1,300

The autofocus on the Zeiss 24-70 is not as snappy as e-mount lenses on my old NEX-EA50 but the A7s II reportedly has improved this (twice as fast apparently)

If primes are your thing then Zeiss make a lot, and they get good reviews, and maybe someone else can weigh in.

Regarding stabilisation - as the A7sII has 5 axis in-camera stabilisation giving 4 stops surely any lens will do no?
Cheers pete, i will use my tamron 24-70 then and get the 85mm 1.8 sony, may get the canon 35mm f2 as reoprted to be great on the a7s. steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 12:18 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Steve i beleive the latest metabones smart adapter ef - e-mount has autofocus but don't quote me on that
Old September 16th, 2015, 03:04 AM   #21
Inner Circle

No dual media card slot it seems - that's a pretty big omission for a 'pro' camera - especially as I've had on several heart-stopping occasions 'data recovery' messages! I miss my FMU/SD card safety net that I had on the EA50
Old September 16th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Cheers pete, i will use my tamron 24-70 then and get the 85mm 1.8 sony, may get the canon 35mm f2 as reoprted to be great on the a7s. steve
Steve I would also go so far as saying that for a lens that retails at about £800, the zeiss 24-70 has sh**t manual focus - it is literally impossible to do a rack focus with this lens as it seems to focus in small incremental stages - I can't speak for other Zeiss lenses but I won't buy another simply because of this - my advice would be try before you buy
Old September 16th, 2015, 05:21 AM   #23
Trustee

OK thanks Pete, so used to canon lens, all else a mystery isn't it?
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 11:31 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I hope to god they've refined the width of the zebra stripes - nailing exposure is a bit hit and miss as they are so thick!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR