FE SONY 28-135 - question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old September 15th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: FE SONY 28-135 - question

I just did a quick zoom test, first day off in a while.
There are different zoom speeds when you press hard or soft.
I'll post a vid in a few minutes
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #17
Trustee

Here is a quick zoom test with the Sony A7s and the Sony 28-135mm lens.
I have zoomed in, pulled focus and zoomed in and out several times.

No thought has gone into this test, I just turned the camera on and roughly exposed, white balance is way off and yes it's blown out where the chairs are. This is just a zoom test on the lens.

Old September 16th, 2015, 06:18 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
It is NOT PARAFOCAL, and my ENG type use of it is made extremely difficult, because something as simple as a wide medium and telephoto shot of the same angle requires lots of work to refocus. Also, the zoom mechanism is extremely TIGHT, so that zooming is a grip and twist several times, like unscrewing a stuck jar lid. Expect the camera to rotate on it's axis as you do this. Manual focus is no better, and the lens has no infinity stop, which wouldn't be too horrible if not for the fact that the free spinning focus dial will pass infinity by a huge margin and blur everything.
You are right - but this make it terrible for fast ENG - but not for other kind of filmwork.
24-240 make life much more comfortably if you compare with work based on changing between 5 - 6 prime lenses (what i do a lot of time).
Zoom mechanism on such lens have to be tight - otherwise it will move to tele if you film down angles. Canon lenses are not so tight - but they need lock buttons for this.
And yes - manual focus on this lens is terrible. Its probably not possible make it mechanical in such big zoom in small body.
I love the 28 - 135 and its manual focus (even if it is electric too) feel much much better. A lot of people says - that it work not good with Follow Focus - but it fit perfect with my edelkrone FF.
But i do a lot of product videos and i do not like the minimal focus distance. Its impossible to shoot small objects - what i can do very good with 24 - 240 and its 50cm focus distance. On the other side - its not wide enough... Life is never easy...
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 06:44 AM   #19
Trustee

Thanks Simon......that is with the on lens rocker right? If you manually "command" a crash zoom, is the zoom servo "follow through" roughly equivalent to the zoom speed demonstrated in you video?

Ivan, I really like the C button I can assign to do a zap AF on the center, so I can get by most times with zoom, press, focus zaps, etc. The only problem is when this doesn't work in low light, it goes way off focus, and toggling into manual makes me have to deal with the ring....ugh.

If the 24-240 was parafocal, I would not have a problem with it. The lack of parafocus (is that a word?) forces the user into other issues, sort of like a flat tire causing handling and steering issues!

I have decided to return my 24-240 to B&H and get the 28-135 monster lens. I have been operating with a 7lb PXW-X180 with 2lb's off add-on's, so the weight of the A7s, 28-135, and cage shouldn't stress my arm more than the almost 10lb monster Handycam!

Repeating a previous question.......will the zoom control on the 28-135 activate the digital zoom on the A7s when the limits of optical zoom have been servo'd out?

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 07:31 AM   #20
Regular Crew

No - it do not activate the digital zoom. Fast manual zoom are difficult. You have to look to the scale - because the delay is too long. Otherwise as by manual focus is there no "direct feel". Its not comparable with mechanical manual zoom.
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #21
Trustee

With the digital zoom enabled I'm not sure how this works. It looks like its zoom range is from 28-135mm then it zooms pass the 135mm as a digital zoom. I don't use this function so I have no experience other than just testing. What I do is go into crop mode for those long shots.

Yes that's using the lens slider/ rocker.
It looks like the crash zoom speed is roughly the same as the servo zoom speed. Sorry, the crash zoom speed is about double that of the rocker. I'll do another vid as a test.

Last edited by Simon Denny; September 16th, 2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old September 16th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #22
Trustee

This is a quick crash zoom test using the Sony A7s & Sony 28-135mm
Yet again, no thought has gone into this other than a very rough test on using the lens in manual zoom and then engaging the servo.

Old September 16th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
Repeating a previous question.......will the zoom control on the 28-135 activate the digital zoom on the A7s when the limits of optical zoom have been servo'd out?
Yes, it does, if I remember correctly! Which is a sweet feature. The Clear Zoom is surprisingly useful!
Old September 17th, 2015, 03:16 AM   #24
Trustee

If only there were a way to rock the zoom with my right hand on the camera body......so that I could focus as I am framing a fast action shot.

Paul
Old September 17th, 2015, 03:31 AM   #25
Trustee

Simon, would you say that the focus mechanism is light enough that it can be adjusted by fingers while the hand is under the lens providing support? I HATE tight focus rings SOOOOO much! I am a day or so away from buying a 28-135, want to make sure I can actually operate it as a video camera lens and not as a stop, adjust, then recompose etc like a still photographer!

Paul
Old September 17th, 2015, 04:07 AM   #26
Trustee

You know Paul, using the A7s and the 28 -135mm is not easy, gotta be honest here and you will need to work on getting steady shots and pulling focus while crash zooming etc…. It can be done and won't take long.

Check out Brandon Li on Vimeo. He doesn't use the 28-135mm but his work is excellent.

The lens does not behave like your traditional video camera, for a start the zoom is on the left so you have to work out a way to zoom and focus while holding the camera.
I think one has to start again with how this camera operates in their hands and find muscle memory along with finger position etc.. so this becomes second nature. I use shoulder ENG rigs so my fingers shape to this, chuck the A7s and 28-135mm I have to think.
What I reckon is the The A7s and 28-135mm needs a new set of skills to operate. The way I use this camera is auto setup then snap into manual.
What I mean by this is: shutter is set, f stop set and I let the iso on auto, when I'm framed and set then I'll lock iso in and off I go. I also use auto focus all the time… YEP. I'll frame up then press the button on the back, snap to focus and If I'm unsure I'll then manual focus.

I'm selling my ENG rigs and the A7s and 28-135mm is my main camera now.

Why do I like the A7s and 28-135mm.

I can fit this into a small backpack
Image is fantastic
Media is cheap
Batteries are cheap and small
I don't stand out like a BIG shoulder mount rig.
The body is around 2k v 34k for my Sony 500
Oh, this thing sees in the dark.
Old September 17th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #27
Trustee

Simon, I am thinking of supporting the lower middle barrel with the back-bottom of my index finger, using the tip of that finger to work some focus motion, while using my thumb to zoom.........are the mechanics of the lens able to do that, focus light enough?

The low light is just TOOO amazing to NOT deal with these issues! I am used to hand holding a 9lb PXW-X180, and it needs a hand under the barrel it is so front heavy!

Paul
Old September 17th, 2015, 05:06 AM   #28
Trustee

Yep, that's the way I do this and it works. Don't forget that there are rails you can stick on etc..
Old September 19th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #29
Trustee

I just ordered the 28-135 from B&H along with a preordered A7sII.

I think the Varavon A7s Pro cage I previousl ordered will work wonders, as it has two options for the leather handstrap, one rotating, to help the camera/lens weight hang properly like an ENG camcorder. I will most likely put my Sony VCT14 shoe slide in adaptor on the bottom of the lens. I use the slide feet in front on my current PXW-X180 as a place to put my thump under to support the 8-9lb weight of the handheld camera. Might also allow the camera to be set on the ground with some degree of stand-up-ability. Will be putting a Comer1800 on the right of the handle and a Sony CG60 shotgun on the left.

If the A7s's didn't have the 4X digital zoom option, I am not sure I could make this 5x zoom lens work. My final output will be 720p60 to air, so the resolution drop is not as severe for my use.

Paul
Old September 20th, 2015, 02:59 AM   #30
Trustee

I'm looking forward to some posts Paul when your rig is up and running.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR