FE SONY 28-135 - question - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old September 20th, 2015, 09:54 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: FE SONY 28-135 - question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Mosny View Post
No - it do not activate the digital zoom.
Sorry. Digital zomm is not activated by the zoom ring, but its activated with the power zoom leveler.
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 02:42 AM   #32
Trustee

It must be noted that the transition to digital zoom is not clean, there is a pause and should not be used while recording. Another weird thing, on my A7s, if I attempt to change exposure (ISO) settings while the power zoom is in action, the camera locks up, as if it get's a brain seizure. Very annoying when you want to compose and expose your next shot as quickly as possible, and don't want to wait 30 seconds for the zoom to complete.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Paul,
You must have a light touch.
The 28-135 zoom rocker is variable speed.
I can zoom all the way from 28 to 135 in about 8 seconds.
Same speed the other way.

Or are you talking about using the camera to (digital) zoom?
Why would you want to use that for Video anyway?
Roger Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #34
Trustee

I know Roger, i was being a big sarcastic. I am use to my broadcast 22x lenses that go from 28mm wide to full telephoto in UNDER one second. heck, even my PXW-X180 25x can do that. 8 seconds for a 5x is excrusiatingly slow! The concept of zooming in to focus then pulling back to record is no longer a possibility for me in ENG. It will take me some time to get used to the UP for telephoto and DOWN for wide angle. At least the focus rotates in the correct video direction!

One thing I am finding necessary when using A/F at night, is to leave the manual focus ring set to near infinity, so if the lens looses focus I can pop it back and then forward again, which resets the A/F to begin again at infinity.

BTW, here is some night ENG footage on the 28-135 all at f4.0 on my A7s.

Paul

Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #35
Trustee

Looks good Paul,

What picture profile are you using.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 10:02 PM   #36
Trustee

PP4 ITU709, black level at -2 and and auto knee, but otherwise stock. The green light is actually one of those newer white streetlight type lamps that looks green to a Sony camera, much more so than any other camera I have. This was a situation where you would not be able to use a light whatsoever, and the f4.0 was not much of a disability.

The majority of the wobbling and shaky video was the result of me hunting for the controls on the lens, it's very difficult to do anything while rolling, as your supporting hand has to move around to rotate and flip things. I should get a bit better with practice. I found that pressing the EVF against my face helped steady the heavy rig much more than I can get with handholding my PXW-X180.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR