DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-alpha-mirrorless-dslr/)
-   -   A7 5-axis + OSS possible? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-alpha-mirrorless-dslr/529801-a7-5-axis-oss-possible.html)

Paul Anderegg September 19th, 2015 04:16 PM

A7 5-axis + OSS possible?

Can anyone confirm if you can use the newer in body 5-axis image stabilization IN CONJUNCTION with a lenses built in OSS function, to double the effect? In most Sony camcorders, SteadyShot means in lens, and Active SteadyShot designates in lens plus sensor stabilization together.

Paul

Wacharapong Chiowanich September 19th, 2015 07:30 PM

Re: A7 5-axis + OSS possible?

Not exactly doubling the effect but the combination should work better than the OSS on the lens alone since the sensor can help stabilize the rolling shake while the system in the lens can't. Oh, and one more thing, in Sony speak, "Active Steadyshot" or "Intelligent Active Steadyshot" means additional software stabilization in-camera plus the optical stabilization in the body or in the lens.

Paul Anderegg September 19th, 2015 07:44 PM

I was not sure if Sony impliments anything in firmware that would dissalow in body stabilization if in lens stabilization were active. Sony has a weird way of disbabling one thing when another is enabled. :-)

Paul

Matt Sharp September 20th, 2015 01:18 AM

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony...s/PitchYaw.jpg

Paul Anderegg September 20th, 2015 01:49 PM

Well that answers that, thanks Matt! Hey, I used to live in Northridge. :)

Paul

Dave Allen September 25th, 2015 06:58 PM

I asked Sony at an A7RII training and sales event the exact same question. They told me to always turn on the lens OIS on native Sony lenses and the two will communicate and both will use portions of their respective OIS capabilities, which seems to independently confirm Matt's graphic.

Dave Allen September 25th, 2015 07:03 PM

I asked Sony at an A7RII training and sales event the exact same question. They told me to always turn on the lens OIS on native Sony lenses and the two will communicate and both will use portions of their respective OIS capabilities, which seems to independently confirm Matt's graphic.

The unusual thing they stated upon my query was that the Super 35 setting would render better digital footage quality than the FF. I told them I might need the low light capability of the FF setting while shooting low light footage. They said use the Super35 setting anyway is it gathers all the possible light of the FF and converts it to Super 35.

Most interesting.

Dave Sperling September 26th, 2015 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Allen (Post 1899170)
I asked Sony at am A7RII training and sales event the exact same question. They told me to always turn on the lens OIS on native Sony lenses and the two will communicate and both will use portions of their respective OIS capabilities, which seems to independently confirm Matt's graphic.

The unusual thing they stated upon my query was that the Super 35 setting would render better digital footage quality than the FF. I told them I might need the low light capability of the FF setting while shooting low light footage. They said use the Super35 setting anyway is it gathers all the possible light of the FF and converts it to Super 35.

Do you know whether the response was specific to the A7RII ? -- or whether this was a blanket suggestion across all the A7 product line? Was there an indication of what they specifically meant by "better digital footage quality" ?

Dave Allen September 26th, 2015 01:21 PM

I had asked the question specific to the A7RII. I should have asked them what about the Super35 setting was responsible for making the footage appear better as they claimed.