Sony PZ 28-135 macro "trick" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old October 4th, 2015, 03:18 AM   #1
Trustee

Sony PZ 28-135 macro "trick"

I haven't seen this posted anywhere while searching, so I thought I would throw it online for others looking into this lens.

Minimum focus distance at 28mm is something like .5m/1.6' in manual focus mode. When you push the focus ring forward for A/F, BUT switch the camera body to manual focus, you can keep turning "past" the minimum focus hard stop, and reach focus to about 5-6 inches. That trick doesn't work at 135mm, but does work in full A/F at 28mm as well.

My PXW-X180 XDCAM has the same focus ring mechanism, and operates the same way, which is what gave me the idea to try this out on the 28-135. I do a lot of wide angle, close in, on camera audio interviews at news scenes, so I was getting rather annoyed by the close focus limitations. If the interviewees nose doesn't leave a smudge on my front element, I am not close enough. :)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 09:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony PZ 28-135 macro "trick"

This is cool. Any issues with the mount on the back of the lens? I've been seriously considering this as my daily run-and-gun lens, but a review on B&H said the lens mount detached from the lens body as its just screwed into plastic. This gives me pause..
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Trustee

I actually DROPPED my A7 with lens attached from my lap while trying to put on a microphone. It landed hard on the flat carpet, nothing damaged. ALL of the reported lens mount failures i have read have been with the full lens weight being supported by a heavier camera. I have a feeling my A7s lens mount would go before the lens mount on the lens.

Paul
Old October 6th, 2015, 02:05 AM   #4
Trustee

I will throw this in as additional information on the manual focus when in A/F ring mode. I am finding the ring is a bit stiff and sticky when in forward/AF position. Feels like plastic on plastic friction, unlike the smoothness when in pulled back full manual mode. I noticed this while attempting some rack focus shots tonight. The stickiness made it hard to smoothly rack to a specific point, because the friction would slow my rotations as I neared my focus point.

Paul
Old October 14th, 2015, 11:00 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna rent one to see how I like it. Right now my standard zoom is a Tokina/Angineux 28-70 F/2.6-2.8 that I like a lot, but I wish it had more range - even with the A7rII in S35 mode.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR