Battery grip and heavy lens on a tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old November 7th, 2015, 07:10 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Battery grip and heavy lens on a tripod

I use a Meike battery grip and am finding that when using this with the metabones/canon 24-105 on a tripod I get an unnaceptible amount of play between the battery grip and camera. This i not apparent when I'm hand holding as I always have one hand on the lens but on a tripod - there is a little 'bounce' that becomes apparent with any tilts - would the Sony battery grip be any better? I would imagine the mounting would be the same.

The 24-105 is heavier than my Zeiss 24-70 but still not classed as a 'heavy' lens as it has no tripod mount on the barrel.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 07:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Battery grip and heavy lens on a tripod

Hi Pete

The aftermarket grips are usually a copy of the genuine ones so I would doubt whether a Sony would work any better .. the problem is that you are raising the centre of balance of the actual camera by including a grip so a small amount of play between the camera and tripod plate doesn't affect the bounce much. Lift it up the height of a grip and the same play is almost doubled so you get more bounce. Much the same as bumping the camera when wide (no issue) compared to bumping the camera on a full zoom (big issue)

Can you not figure a way to have maybe an external battery pack when on a tripod ..that would solve the problem. I had a huge amount of bounce on my FZ1000's on tripod cos I had a 25mm piece of square aluminium under the camera ..I took that off and solved the problem!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 08:47 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm trying to work out my options Chris - battery life for the A7s is pretty dire <1hr so I get up to 2 hours with the battery grip which is OK (not as OK as my all day NP-F790 on the EA50) but gives this little 'bounce' issue. I could loose the battery grip for establishing shots/ceremony/speeches where it's noticeable but, especially for the ceremony, time is tight and each time I have to faff with gear it's costly, especially If I have to remove and replace tripod QR plates. Also I'm back to one battery and worries about when to change etc. I do have a NP adapter which will let me run for hours on end but it's another bit of kit and a trailing wire (potential for coming out) at a time when I'm trying to simplify my gear - not add to it.

One option is to ditch the battery grip and use my NP adapter for the whole wedding shoot - I have some down time now so I'm going to give it a try, I just need to get it secured nicely to my mini rig

Pete
Old November 7th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I used to shoot stills with Konica Minolta Hi7 cameras many years ago and they used to eat up rechargeable batteries .. so I went to the local electronics shop and bought a diecast aluminium box and had batteries mounted inside ....Because the diecast box doesn't flex like a flimsy plastic grip it really worked well for me ..I just had 1/4 screw on the top to mount under the camera and a tripod plate bolted underneath ... it was certainly a much better a more stable option than a grip .. I have already tossed out two of my Nikon grips cos they fell to bits!!

Beachtek use a similar method to attach their XLR adapters between the tripod and the camera and they are solid as a rock simply because they are rigid diecast aluminium

Maybe something like that would work for you???
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 07:25 AM   #5
Trustee

Can you use the tripod threads on the Metabones adapter rather than mounting the camera itself to the tripod?
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 02:33 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I tried that John but during a wedding shoot I switch between the canon lenses and native sony FE so it means attaching and reataching the tripod plate which is a real faff when you're up against it.
Old November 12th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #7
Trustee

Tripod plates are cheap... it never hurts to have a couple of extras!

When I shot with 5D's I used to have plates permanently attached to each body as well as the lens feet on all the bigger lenses.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 10:28 AM   #8
Major Player

Really Right Stuff has a new QR plate for Metabones adapter.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR