Using Android smartphone as A7s viewing device at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old January 22nd, 2016, 04:08 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Using Android smartphone as A7s viewing device

I'm pulling my hair out trying to use my Android Galaxy S4 - which has NFC to view the output from my A7s using the Sony PlayMobile App - I can get the camera to see the phone to send images but not live view - I know it can be done but cannot fathom it myself - anyone had success with this?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 05:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Using Android smartphone as A7s viewing device

Peter, I have no direct experience with this question however I was informed that NFC did not have adequate bandwidth to enable live view. If you have wi-fi on your A7s that might be worth a shot.

Cheers...
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 07:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
I'm pulling my hair out trying to use my Android Galaxy S4 - which has NFC to view the output from my A7s using the Sony PlayMobile App - I can get the camera to see the phone to send images but not live view - I know it can be done but cannot fathom it myself - anyone had success with this?
Hi Peter, I had a similar problem with a Galaxy phone - make sure Auto Network Switch is off....

https://community.sony.com/t5/Camcor...15/td-p/246055

I just tried this with my A7s and Galaxy S5. I didn't use NFC, just made sure the Smart Remote Control app was launched on the camera, then ran Playmemories App on the phone and it connected straight away. Hope that helps!
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 03:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks guys - works now - seems NFC seems like a red herring!!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2016, 12:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Peter, the nfc part of it is that you can set up the camera and the app to connect/ launch the app by touching them together. I have to do it manually now because my movcam cage is in the way but it works well for me when I use my A7s as a static camera in a balcony etc. I also have a small kitchen timer on my main tripod to help me to remember it only records for 30m. I forgot to restart it once and it could have been a disaster.

M.
Michael Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 08:47 AM   #6
Major Player

Michael - Love the timer idea!!!

I don't often connect A7s for wi-fi viewing with the phone app, but as I recall - doing so automatically switches the HDMI output on the camera to regular HD. We tried using the feature once with the camera and a Shogun mounted where we couldn't reach them (or run wires to them) -- and it seemed that the camera output (which had been QuadHD earlier in the day) switched down to 1920x1080 once the camera connected to the smartphone. Of course we were shooting with talent and didn't have time to mess around with it, so I may have missed something...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR