Seeking Sony A7s lens advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old February 7th, 2016, 10:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Seeking Sony A7s lens advice

Hi all -

Does anyone have any thoughts on using the 18-105 f/4 on a Sony A7s for a wedding shoot? I do not own any Sony gear, but would like to rent an A7s (not the Mark II - I'm not sure I can get that into my budget) for a couple of shoots coming up in the next few weeks. The 18-105 in APS-C mode seems like a sound choice as I don't need 4k, but I am curious if there is anything I should watch out for, or if maybe the 24-240 might be better in full frame mode for a wedding... Shooting conditions will range from an evening (about 1 hour before sunset) outdoor ceremony to an indoor reception which may have poor lighting, to a dance which will almost certainly be fairly dark...

I will also have a 55 f/1.8 with me if I need a shallow DOF, but I am thinking the A7s should be fine in low light, even at f/4 - f/8. I am I off base here?
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 03:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Seeking Sony A7s lens advice

I use the 24-105 for ceremony and speeches and it's fine - why in APS-C mode though as it's a full frame lens?

F4 is ok for all but the darkest of churches with the A7s

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 08:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
I use the 24-105 for ceremony and speeches and it's fine - why in APS-C mode though as it's a full frame lens?

Pete
Thanks Pete - I was wanting a bit more reach, and that lens seems to be very cost effective - but it is an APS-C lens, so I would shoot in crop mode unless there is some compelling reason not to use crop mode. I was also kind of intrigued by the motorized zoom, but have realistic expectations for it.

The 24-105 - is that A mount? Sigma maybe? I'm going to rent both the lens and camera, so I'm kind of at the mercy of the rental house...
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 03:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Ah sorry - for some reason I though in your OP you had said 24-105 which is a Canon lens - my mistake
Old February 9th, 2016, 06:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Full frame is about 2 f stop or more cleaner than APS-C, I would not go pass ISO12800 on APS-C but have no problem going up to 32000ISO in full frame.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 11:54 PM   #6
New Boot

Maybe you can rent the new g-master lens 24-70 2.8 when it comes out. I know its expensive though. But I would assume 2.8 would be enough dof for events and you may not need to carry around the 55 1.8 if the quality is almost up to par.
Jerri Acuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 11:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Still waiting for user reviews of this lens - is it released yet?
Old April 25th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #8
Major Player

Roger Cicala of Lens Rentals did a review of the new Sony G Master 24-70 f/2.8. Bottom line - as good as the Canon and Nikon equivalents, and also as good regarding copy-to-copy variation (which apparently is a problem with the Sony FE 24-70 f/4. Because they rent lenses they have many copies.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR