A7s 3rd party batteries risk? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old March 1st, 2016, 02:57 AM   #1
Inner Circle

A7s 3rd party batteries risk?

I've just been involved with a thread elsewhere regarding using the A7s (mark one and two) with non Sony batteries and apparently their is a risk of killing the camera - as in it will switch off and then never turn on again resulting in a trip back to Sony

Anyone have any views on this? I sometimes use a dummy battery with a NP battery plate for longer recording but now I'm worried!

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016, 12:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: A7s 3rd party batteries risk?

I've personally never experienced problems with 3rd party batts for the A7s -- nor have any of several friends who likewise have A7s, A7sII and A7RII cameras. In addition to original Sony batteries, we have Watson, Vivitar and Wasabi batts, all without problems. One friend also has a shoulder rig that he powers with an A-B brick (and has drop-down voltage converter for A7). No problems for any of us ...

Would like to hear more about what specific battery brands have been problems, as well as how the problem developed (was it an over-voltage issue? / or did the issue happen with an over-exhausted battery? / or in the middle of normal operation??? / doing stills, HD, 4k? / overheating?)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 02:01 AM   #3
Major Player

I've had my A7s for over a year now, and use a mixture of various third party batteries, and have never had a problem with it. I've mainly bought the batteries from Amazon and now have 8 or 10 of them, and get through most of them in a solid day shoot.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 11:48 PM   #4
New Boot

I have 2 third party batteries purchased from amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...d_i=B008OXSDZO

So far they haven't given me any problems or issues. They don't last as long as my 2 Sony batteries but for the price they do the job.
Jerri Acuna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR