Custom White Balance in Movie Mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old April 5th, 2016, 09:55 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Custom White Balance in Movie Mode

Why can't I set a custom white balance in Movie Mode (A7s II) - I have Movie/HFR set to Manual Exposure - Surely I'm missing something????

I suppose I could use a stills mode (AV/SP/Manual) but I've read there are issues with HDMI output in stills mode - and I use an Atomos Ninja Star
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Custom White Balance in Movie Mode

I have the original A7s, and have always just quickly flipped the camera into manual stillls mode to set my custom white balances, then flipped back into movie mode. I can still select any of my custom white balances when in movie mode -- I just can't do an auto white balance. Interestingly enough, I can still tweak the color of my custom presets when in movie mode.
At first I kept thinking 'what a pain having to switch into stills mode' -- but after doing it a few times it's actually a pretty quick process. DSLR's always seem to have a counter-intuitive way of white balancing, and I find this system easier than the process with my Canon DSLR.
Maybe the next A7s version will allow for it in movie mode...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 02:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
DSLR's always seem to have a counter-intuitive way of white balancing
I"m sure they do it on purpose to give you enough reasons to go for a fs5 or 7, I have been mainly working with dslr's the past years but got a jvc gy ls300 recently and while I prefer working with smaller camera's like dslr's once you work with a "real" videocamera that focuses on video ergonomics you realize what you are missing, whitebalancing for instance is so easy, it literally is just a press of 1 button, switch between 2 presets or back to autowb with a flick of a switch and change whitebalance while the camera is recording. With this camera I"m am constantly making a new whitebalance during run and gun shoots and it even is fun to do :) while with my dslr's I often just leave it in autowb because it's just too much of a hassle when you have to move quickly.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 08:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Why can't I set a custom white balance in Movie Mode (A7s II) - I have Movie/HFR set to Manual Exposure - Surely I'm missing something????

I suppose I could use a stills mode (AV/SP/Manual) but I've read there are issues with HDMI output in stills mode - and I use an Atomos Ninja Star
You should check this video out. I don't have an a7s2 yet but I ran into that couple days ago... the video starts from the point.

Old April 6th, 2016, 09:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Pretty much how I have my A7s II setup however I have the automatic switching from LCD to EVF turned off and have toggling assigned to a custom button.

Setting WB is a pain though as my new SmallRig is perfect but....it covers the locking switch for the mode dial which makes changing mode a pain.

Sony do like their anomalies though - for some reason you can punch in twice to check focus but when you are recording you can only do it once - odd

what I would not swap back to though, and what you get with traditional video cameras, is the 3 choices of gain! to scroll through ISO until it's correctly exposed is a dream :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR