Sony 30min recording restriction HACKED! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old June 19th, 2016, 02:14 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Sony 30min recording restriction HACKED!

This hack works for the A6000?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 01:21 PM   #17
Trustee

Hi Peter

It works on ANY NEX camera with Wifi / Apps ... so even the older NEX-5R which can be bought for peanuts on ebay (£150) ... and essentially be used as a video camera until it gives an overheat error and switches itself off (which never happens from experience if you open the LCD screen allowing heat to leave the camera).

I tested my A7ii and recorded a nice chunky 44GB single movie file in XAVCS 1080p 50fps ... absolutely no problems what so ever.

I would still advise hitting the record button if you get a chance but this hack is ideal for those moments when you're busy filming and you forget to go and press record again as it will always be continuously filming like a normal video camera.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 03:49 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Finally got around to installing the app - took longer to figure out the instructions than to actually install it...

Once installed, you go to the Apps tab in the menu, select the app, and get a whole bunch of things to fiddle with!

I did a RX100M3, an RX100M4, and an RX10M2, so far only tested the 100M4 for 4K limits...

The good news is you can turn off the 5 minute limit on 4K, the bad news is you get the little "heat" indicator at about 8 1/2 minutes (indoor, around 76f ambient, screen tilted off camera, and an aluminum grip that seems to act nicely as a heat sink attached).

So, the hack looks to work (still need to test against the 30 minute limits on the other cameras), but the little M4 is still just a "short clip" 4K camera....

FWIW, the older RX10 didn't have apps, and so no easy way to "hack" it, though I would guess it is using a similar "operating system"...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 05:38 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
Sony 30 minute limit HACKED!
A first real Sony hack removes the 30min video recording limit and unlocks the language menu

Looks like some brilliant people have created a Play Memories APP that runs on many newer Sony Cameras. The app REMOVES the 30 minute time restriction.

I have installed the APP to my A7s-II and RX10-II and both work perfectly. I made a 90minte recording this morning on My A7s-II and stopped it on my own. I'm currently on my RX10-II right now and it's running time is 2:13 minutes as I type this. (running off USB plug in)

Both camera tests were done indoors under air conditioning. No heat problems whatsoever on either camera. I'm leaving the screens unfolded and away from the body. Both camera felt mildly warm but "hot" at all.

This is a breakthough! It's quite possible that these cameras can now be used reliably for long form recording!

On the other side,....I'm sure that is something that Sony marketing must be extremely unhappy about. As many of us know, the 29 minute limitation is not just there for tax purposes, it plays a FAR more important roll of separating these cameras from the "camcorder" markets.

There is no Full Frame A7s-II "camcorder" today. but with this app installed, your A7s-I/II is one step closer now.

WOAH!........
what is the direct link to download this app along with instructions on how to do it? I have never done this before.
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #20
Inner Circle

https://github.com/ma1co/OpenMemories-Tweak This has the "instructions"

https://sony-pmca.appspot.com/apps has the list of apps to download....

It's a little confusing figuring out how to get it on the camera, took me a while to get it, but once it was on one camera, the rest were easy!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR