A6300 - Open Memories hack and firmware 1.10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old August 12th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #1
Trustee

A6300 - Open Memories hack and firmware 1.10

I have an A6300 and I'm using the Open Memories 29 minute recording hack which works fantastic.

I have literally made several 4 hour long recording tests (no stopping) using a 20mm, USB powered cooling fan that I developed.

Anyway,...does anybody know if the hack works well with the new 1.10 firmware? I'm hesitant about upgrading my current firmware because it's not possible to go backwards after it's been done.

Thanks!
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: A6300 - Open Memories hack and firmware 1.10

works the same on the 1.10 firmware, i did have to go back to the app to select the recording time after the firmware upgrade.

i have seen some reports where it has not worked and the discussion seems to be which was installed first, the app or the updated firmware. so far it seems if the app is on the camera before the firmware upgrade it will continue to work after the upgrade.
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks,

Have you noticed any differences in 4k recording times using the Open Memories with the new firmware?

I saw a video where a guy made a couple of firmware 1.10 recordings. He had no trouble doing 1 full 29 minute recording. (he wasn't running Open Memories) but the minute after he started his second file he gets the immediate overheat and forced recording stop.

I think it's suspicious that the A6300 would run "cool" enough to make any first 29 minute file but then immediately bomb near the start of the second attempts.

It makes me wonder if there inst any "new" firmware logic that forces fake temp flags that are really based on a "clock" option instead of real temp readings.

Maybe it's fine but I'm sure Sony doesnt like this Open Memories and I'm sure they will try to disable it in future cameras and firmware.

CT
Old August 13th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #4
Major Player

i have not noticed any difference in recording times. i have been testing the recordings in 4k just to see when the camera will over heat.

i still do the production work in hd and it works fine with the new firmware, files record as expected.

the overheat times in 4k for may camera are not consistent. it is better with the new firmware but not predictable.
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:11 AM   #5
Trustee

This new firmware can only be tested in the field and just pressing record in my studio and making 29 min clips flawlessly is pointless for me.

My A6300 has been over heating when I keep doing 4k slider shots followed by some stationary 10-12 min video clips in a banqueting hall.

I've just updated the firmware. If it solves the over heating issue for my style of shooting I will be very happy.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 12:55 AM   #6
Trustee

Any reports on how 1.10 has been working with heat these days?

Firmware 1.10 was created AFTER the time hack was developed. So, I'm wondering if Sony hasn't snuck any camera shutdown tricks in to "make" it shit down even if it's not as hot as it's supposed to be.

Just wondering.

CT
Old September 27th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #7
Major Player

1.10 seems to have helped with the over heating. It is difficult to know for certain as the camera does not always perform the same.

With 1.10 and a small fan the camera has recorded over an hour before over heating indoors with an ambient temperature around 80 degrees. Without the fan it records for about 35 minutes before over heating. This is noticeably better than before the 1.10 firmware.

Outdoors in sun the camera still overheats even with the fan. Record times vary from 15-45 minutes, no idea why the variance.

HD records fine, no time limits and over heating only in extreme outdoor conditions.
George Bean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR