Video settings recommendation on A6300 for Sony NEWBIE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old September 11th, 2018, 11:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Video settings recommendation on A6300 for Sony NEWBIE

I have been a Canon guy for over 30 years. In 2 days I am getting a Sony A6300. I will be shooting surfing and using a water housing. To start with I will be shooting with video with the 55-210mm to give myself some distance between me and the surfer. Later, when my skills improve, I might shoot with the kit lens and if really confident, use an 8mm fisheye.

At this point, haven't got my hands on the camera but know. I will be shooting 120 fps to get slow motion.

Here are some questions, and any settings you can recommend would be wonderful. Keep in mind, changing camera settings in the water isn't so easy.

1. What exact setting do you recommend for 120 fps, 100 or 60 for bit rate? Explain please.

2. Do I need to preset white balance (heard Sony's colors can be off) or will auto be fine?

3. Focusing; auto focus setting you recommend? Not sure if water droplets will effect focusing, now at water shots.

Any other camera settings you suggest?

I am sure adjusting to Sony's menus etc will be a learning curve. Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 02:08 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Video settings recommendation on A6300 for Sony NEWBIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wisener View Post
I have been a Canon guy for over 30 years. In 2 days I am getting a Sony A6300. I will be shooting surfing and using a water housing. To start with I will be shooting with video with the 55-210mm to give myself some distance between me and the surfer. Later, when my skills improve, I might shoot with the kit lens and if really confident, use an 8mm fisheye.

At this point, haven't got my hands on the camera but know. I will be shooting 120 fps to get slow motion.

Here are some questions, and any settings you can recommend would be wonderful. Keep in mind, changing camera settings in the water isn't so easy.

1. What exact setting do you recommend for 120 fps, 100 or 60 for bit rate? Explain please.

2. Do I need to preset white balance (heard Sony's colors can be off) or will auto be fine?

3. Focusing; auto focus setting you recommend? Not sure if water droplets will effect focusing, now at water shots.

Any other camera settings you suggest?

I am sure adjusting to Sony's menus etc will be a learning curve. Thanks,

Jeff
Sorry - if you want to mainly shoot 120P then the A6300 is the worst choice you can make. It is awful (as is the 1080 60P - 4K is great). This is well known, not my little opinion.
The best HFR consumer cameras (and they are really good) are the Sony RX10 IV and RX100 or RX100 V or VI. The 1080 120P is really good, even the 240P is not bad. You could also get a waterproof housing for the RX100 camera and get really interesting surfing and water shots. Please do not use the A6300 or A6500 for any HD shooting.

I use the A6500 and the RX100 V and VI, and shoot lots of slow motion with the latter.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR