DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-alpha-mirrorless-dslr/)
-   -   Sony a7siii coming soon? (Rumor) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-alpha-mirrorless-dslr/536787-sony-a7siii-coming-soon-rumor.html)

David Barnett May 28th, 2019 04:54 PM

Sony a7siii coming soon? (Rumor)

Seems the folks over at Alpha Rumors posted that a Sony news event will be taking place June 5th-6th and they seem confident its a pretty big deal. They're not guaranteeing its the a7s3, but making it out like they have it on good faith its of that caliber (although possibly a higher end cine cam of sorts).

We'll see, I've been following the camera & rumors for a year or two now, and they're typically reserved on it. That said, they momentum is gaining on its release & seem very well should be in 2019 so thought I'd start a thread for general discussion on it.

Anyone else think they might take the plunge on it? Anyway waiting on it or just think you'll purchase whenever its next time to get a cam?

Brad Kraus May 29th, 2019 01:14 PM

Re: Sony a7siii coming soon? (Rumor)

If the rumors are true, and if it hits the market before September, I will likely pick one up.

Brad Kraus May 29th, 2019 02:48 PM

Seeing as nothing was announced at either CES or NAB, what are the odds that Sony would announce this at Cine Gear Expo this weekend? I know it's a fairly small show and a bit of a longshot but they will need to announce it before they can release it. Unle3ss they plan to announce it at a photography trade show maybe?

David Barnett May 29th, 2019 05:03 PM

FWIW supposedly there is another presser June 5th-6th. Not sure of what kind of event it is.

Donald McPherson May 30th, 2019 12:51 AM

At least cameras are not like printers and need different lens fittings each new model.

David Barnett May 31st, 2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald McPherson (Post 1950811)
At least cameras are not like printers and need different lens fittings each new model.

lol, could you imagine. Fortunately the decades long custom of NOT doing so via photography set that precedent. Think of phone connectors for headphones & USB charging and camera battery changes.

Seems it was all a jump of the gun, today was a Sony Venice camera upgrade.(I think thats out of most of our price range). June 5/6 is said to be a 'sports/wildlife lens' of sorts, something like 200+ mm.

Which brings us to autumn. Hopefully September, uggh. Oh well, I hope it rocks as it'll likely be a sort of 'retirement camera'. Not really but possibly my last full camera purchase for a loooooooong time. (10ish years?). Then ride off into the sunset.

Supposedly there is going to also be a Sony a9ii for photography. With the Olympics next year there is a push to get the best cameras out for photography ahead of time.

Steven Digges May 31st, 2019 02:03 PM

Hey David, FWIW I am really enjoying my A7III. I don't shoot video with still cameras. This is my first venture into anything like this. I avoided the entire DSLR revolution for all these years.

I bought the A7III primarily to use as a still camera, and I do use it for that. I have to admit it is a mind blowing camera in many ways and it is even seeing time as my B camera for video. Proof that old dogs can learn new tricks. That is coming from a guy who has covered the Olympic games with still cameras that did not need batteries and a manual focus 600mm Nikon lens ;-)

Kind Regards,

Steve

Any camera in your hand is better than one not even on the shelf yet.

David Barnett June 1st, 2019 08:56 AM

Thanks. Yeah I actually read where it was a great video camera, and recently worked with a photog who shot on one. He also did video as a bit of a hobby & agreed with its mixed use. At this point tho I'd wish I bought it when it first came out, but it's too close to the a7s release for me to stop waiting on it.

I dabble in photography at times and like the multi use of the a7iii. At this point I'd wanna see the specs & details of what the a7s offers to at least consider both. Then decide to hold out for the a74. (j/k)

Brad Kraus June 3rd, 2019 12:55 PM

Well now... Panasonic's announcement this weekend of the S1H will certainly put the heat on Sony to get their poop in a group and get the a7s III out to market sooner rather than later.

If it wasn't for the L-mount lenses (why Panasonic, why???) I might actually be tempted to take a closer look at the S1H when it hits the street in a few months. so far, it looks very nice; but I question the choice to stick with a niche market proprietary lens mount.