Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camera Systems > Sony AVCHD NEX-VG10 / NEX-VG20

Sony AVCHD NEX-VG10 / NEX-VG20
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Major Player

NEX VG30 chroma subsampling

Hello,
Does anyone know whether the VG30 uses 4:2:2 subsampling or 4:2:0?
I believe I read that the VG900 uses the former, and aside from the sensor they appear to be fairly similar.
Thank you in advance.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: NEX VG30 chroma subsampling

The VG series all "print" 4:2:0 to the SD card. I've seen nothing to indicate that the VG900 prints 4:2:2 to the SD card (it's not on the B&H or Sony website that I could find, and it's not listed in the manual).

Many people have stated that they believe the VG lineup does output a 4:2:2 signal if recording to an outboard hard drive (like a Ninja). Haven't tested myself, but I'd say it's a good bet it does.

Be very wary of assuming that Sony will stay consistent with their different cameras - even if they use they exact same hardware - I believe that they tinker with every single model just enough to make each unique (although the VG20/30 are quite close).

Unlike the Canon DSLRs, which all seem to be more or less cut from the same cloth in any particular generation, there can be major differences with Sony.
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camera Systems > Sony AVCHD NEX-VG10 / NEX-VG20