Should I worry about my camera or lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems
Sony F65, PMW-F55 / F5, PMW-F3, NEX-FS700, NEX-FS100 (CineAlta) and PXW-FS7 / FS5 (XDCAM)

Old November 12th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Should I worry about my camera or lens?

Hello All:

Recently I posted about how off I found the witness marks on my Rokinon lenses to be, and the consensus I found was that I shouldn't be too worried about it and shouldn't expect them to be 100% accurate.

But after failing to achieve infinity focus with another lens, I started to worry if my backfocus is off on my camera.

So I took out the Sony 28-135, put up a Siemens star at 8', zoomed in all the way and focused. When I went all the way wide and hit magnification, it was off quite a bit. So I focused wide and then zoomed in. Same thing, by the time I got to the other end of the zoom, focus needed a pretty significant adjustment.

Do the rest of you that have the 28-135 find that it is parfocal?

I don't know how I can test to see if the lens is not parfocal as advertised, or if it is backfocus on camera.

Any thoughts? Thank you.
Old November 13th, 2015, 02:15 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Should I worry about my camera or lens?

Hi Brian,

I have the Sony 28-135 on the A7s and have not had any issues. The lens is Parfocal. I'm wondering what f-stop you where using and were you hand held or Tripod?
Can you attach some images as per problem?
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That's good to hear that the lens should be parfocal.

I shot my test chart at a F4 at 8 feet on a tripod.

I was actually able to track down another FS7 owner in my city with same setup, so I am now going to test HIS lens on my camera, and my lens on his camera, to nail down where the problem lies. This should be Tuesday.

I will report back with my findings (in case anyone sees similar things in the future).
Old November 17th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't know what on earth I was doing wrong before, but when I went over to another guy's studio to test my camera/lens combo, they worked fine. The lens is parfocal. I also tested his lens/camera and found his lens to be parfocal as well.

I'm going to go with: I had a gremlin in my camera that day.

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems