FS5 and Atomos Ninja V at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old December 18th, 2018, 03:39 AM   #1
Tourist

FS5 and Atomos Ninja V

First hello everyone,

I've been reading a lot here for a little while and I'm super glad to finally be able to be part of this community. Let's share knowledge and learn from each other!

My first post is about the FS5 and the new Atomos Ninja V. Just to mention I work for more than 15 years in this crazy fast moving TV business. Some of you guys surely remember Beta SP and Digi Beta, well, I started back then!

However I was pretty excited to get my hands on the Ninja V. But then, I must admit I was a bit disappointed, missing SDI makes the Ninja almost senseless for the FS5, but then I started using the Atomos only as a monitor, and to be able to see SLOG and to expose without zebra and to quickly see the focus, make the FS5 a really professional camera and great working tool for me! If you compare the price of the Ninja V with the small HD 502...you get a very good monitor AND a recorder I guess

Now, I know you guys saying the FS5 produces to much noise because of not be able to go below 3200 ISO, all the 4k 8bit stuff and if you were to buy the FS 5 + external recorder why don't you just buy the FS7 right away....yes technically spoken these guys knows everything! but I've seen great film that were shots on Iphones and poor stuff shot on high end cameras. So it always depends, right? The question is what is your purpose?

Anyway, can please anybody help....
- What is the FS5 HDMI HD output signal?
What is the FS5 HDMI RAW output signal?

I have found one post, and I searched the whole Internet for weeks, this one answer was
1920x1080 4:2:2 8Bit....HD
1920x1080 4:2:0 8Bit....RAW

I tried to find out myself as well, but when I compare internally recorded files with these on the Ninja V. I can not see any differences (maybe on a 4k+ monitor I would, I don' know) So if anybody knows I would be thankful for that info.
And, yes I have seen the comparison of Mr. Jensen - credits for that.

And just to understand, if I record a file on my Atomos V in HD the XAVC is re-coded in a DNxHD codec is that right?

An other thing is...
Sometimes I have some kind of aperture flickering. With both Sigma lenses (18-35mm and 50-100mm,) but only at aperture 3,2 - 4,5. It looks like the camera jumps between to half apertures back and forth. Has anyone noticed this issue? I 'm using the MC11 E-EF converter?

Oh, I wrote way more I thought I would, but, why not :-)

see you guys!

Last edited by Damien Berlinka; December 18th, 2018 at 07:44 AM.
Damien Berlinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: FS5 and Atomos Ninja V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Berlinka View Post
1920x1080 4:2:0 8Bit....RAW
That's impossible, RAW cannot be chroma subsampled.

Quote:
And just to understand, if I record a file on my Atomos V in HD the XAVC is re-coded in a DNxHD codec is that right?
No.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2018, 01:56 AM   #3
Tourist

Hello Cary,

thank you for your answer.

Is good to know what is not, and maybe you as well what is coming out the HDMI when recording in HD

Greetings from France
Old December 22nd, 2018, 09:05 AM   #4
Tourist

sorry, just saw that I missed the word know

:-)
Old December 22nd, 2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
.. maybe you know as well what is coming out the HDMI when recording in HD
Uncompressed YUV video.
You should check the manual to see if it is 8 or 10 bit and YUV420 or YUV422.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5