PDW-700 XDCAM HD Camcorder announced; 2/3rd-inch, 4:2:2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old September 9th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

PDW-700 XDCAM HD Camcorder announced; 2/3rd-inch, 4:2:2

News from IBC2007:

The PDW-700 will be the "Top-of-the-range XDCAM HD camcorder recording HD material at up to 50Mb/s onto Dual Layer Disc – Three 2/3-inch CCD sensors, Full 1920 x 1080 4:2:2 operation and 1080/720 switchable."

Also announced is the PDW-HD1500 recorder to go with it.

See http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...=1184310553385

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

Any idea on a release date for this camera?
Would it be around the same time as the PDW EX1?

Since the company I am doing some work for are looking at this camera and I'd been really keen to get my hands on it.

Thanks
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

No date mentioned in the press release, but I would assume its target delivery date is intended for early 2008 and not at the same time as the PDW-EX1. I'd love to be proven wrong, though!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #4
Major Player

They will be released early 2008 according someone from Sony yesterday at IBC. They had two camera's on their booth at IBC. From what I saw it looked very good. The time to play with was very short, because everyone wanted to see and touch this beautiful toy! ;-)
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Was there any indication of price?
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Any sign of Cinealta logo in the camera, since there is no 24f at the link?
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #7
Major Player

I couldn't get a price indication, but you can expect it somewhere between an PDW-F355 and HDW-730S. That's nothing new because I guess you already knew that.

As far as I can remember there was no CineAlta logo on the camera.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerson Becker View Post
Any sign of Cinealta logo in the camera, since there is no 24f at the link?
This camera isn't supposed to have 24P (or at least that was the case at NAB). It's aimed at high quality network news gathering.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
This camera isn't supposed to have 24P (or at least that was the case at NAB). It's aimed at high quality network news gathering.

-gb-
And otherwise it would really knock a hole in the HDCAM sales.

I thought after the EX1 Sony had started giving the shooter what they want, not just what Sony wants them to have. :(
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage View Post
I thought after the EX1 Sony had started giving the shooter what they want, not just what Sony wants them to have. :(
As a manufacturer, you do have to protect the investments of your customers or else you won't have any in short order.

Sony has three levels of HD market segment...

HDV - aimed at consumers and low end professionals
XDCAM HD - mid level quality for production houses and indy film makers
HDCAM/SR - the high end imagery for those that demand it

Sorry if that bothers you, but that's the way it is.

-gb-
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:

Sorry if that bothers you, but that's the way it is.

-gb-
You say this as if you are complicit or at least agree with their thinking?

I think it's a huge mistake if that's how their going to operate. Too bad.
Matthew Ernest Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ernest Adams View Post
You say this as if you are complicit or at least agree with their thinking?

This is not unique to Sony. Many manufacturers of many different products have a product line differentiation with pricing that reflects it.

When I was recently looking up engine parts for my Briggs and Stratton powered pressure washer, I found that even they have different tiers of engine build quality depending on expected end use.

Or, how about a 1 ton dually pick up vs. a 1/2 ton pick up. They both haul things in the bed, but the former will cost much more because it has a lot of extra heavy duty build quality.

HDCAM/SR = 1 ton dually with diesel engine
HDV = 1/2 ton pickup

I could go on with more examples, but I hope you get the point.

As to complicit, well, I do get hired by Sony occasionally to demo and teach the XDCAM HD stuff, mainly because I was an early adopter. To that end, I know where they officially position their HD product segments.

-gb-
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ernest Adams View Post

I agree. While Sony 'has' to protect the customers' investment, IMHO this specific delineation point (optical) is stupid, in that Sony wants to use their most highly spec'ed format for interlaced images only (at least in the initial specs)?????????

I believe there is space for BOTH highly spec'ed optical and tape-based formats. The high-end pros will likely stick to the tape-based F900/R and many high-end indie filmmakers could use the pdw-700. At least Sony could install 24P recording via an OPTION board (like the old XDCams)...!

Just as well for Sony, then, because this move might drive indies who want highly spec'ed file-based recording to the Red camera (assuming Red can increase their manufacturing throughput) or to Panasonic's 2/3" camp (where P2 cost may not be an issue for the high-end folks)...

cheers,
-G

(I own an F350 rig, BTW so I don' mean to troll)
Greg Penetrante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #14
Major Player

DV format was a great example of this...

When Sony and Panasonic introduced the DV format, as we all know they made it 4:1:1 (NTSC). This intentional hobbling was to protect both companies' high-end digital formats, Digital Beta and D-5.

But JVC didn't have a high-end digital format to defend, so they introduced Digital-S (later called D-9) which was 4:2:2, higher data rate and lower compression than DV. It was virtually as good as Digital Beta, something that Sony would not do at the lower price point, which of course they could have easily done.

Sadly, most videographers failed to notice the incredible value proposition of D-9 and supported the vastly inferior DV. Later Panasonic gave the D-9 fomrat a nod by cloning it into DVCPRO 50. Anyway, thanks to Sony's market stratification, I made my living for six or seven years with my D-9 camera and deck primarily by upselling clients from DV to D-9.

Hence my email address of tipsd9video@msn.com which I guess I should update someday to tipsxdcamhdvideo. No, it just doesn't roll off the tongue.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
HDCAM/SR = 1 ton dually with diesel engine
HDV = 1/2 ton pickup
Greg, I understand why they may exclude 24p from this camera and it is not for the customers benefit.

The point is that 24p could easily be included as it has been on many lower end cameras. I doubt it would add anything to the price as it would likely be a software setting. It's not like they are having to build a bigger pickup truck.

Of course, Sony can "give away" 24p on lower end cameras because high end users demand 2/3" chips and better codecs. The PDW 700 would supply these, and with 24p would take business away from HDCAM.

The specs do mention progressive scan, so it should have 25p in PAL land. Hopefully 24p will be there too by the time of release.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts