XDCam HD and XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old September 19th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCam HD and XH A1

I just bought an HX A1 for a backup camera, and begun to edit footage from both cameras side-by-side.

Frankly, I am stunned by how little difference I am seeing. Yes, there is some difference, but not thousands of dollars of difference. In some cases, I even like the images from the A1 better.

Anybody else had an experience like this?
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

An important concept that I try to impress upon people is that "image quality" is a non-issue. Almost all of the current crop of HD camcorders are pretty much equal in terms of the pictures they deliver. Their fundamental differences lie primarily in feature sets, ergonomics and workflow. Your post bears that out, so thanks for stating it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

XDCam and A1

The big bugaboo still comes from broadcast specs and engineering, saying no or very little HDV. Wonder if that rule will pass away, just as it did with the DV format.

The say the prob has to do with sending high compression over an already compressed broadcast signal. But what I don't get is is you post onto HDcam, or even on the XDCam, is't the image "burned" into those formats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
An important concept that I try to impress upon people is that "image quality" is a non-issue. Almost all of the current crop of HD camcorders are pretty much equal in terms of the pictures they deliver. Their fundamental differences lie primarily in feature sets, ergonomics and workflow. Your post bears that out, so thanks for stating it.
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Weaver View Post
The big bugaboo still comes from broadcast specs and engineering, saying no or very little HDV. Wonder if that rule will pass away, just as it did with the DV format.

The say the prob has to do with sending high compression over an already compressed broadcast signal. But what I don't get is is you post onto HDcam, or even on the XDCam, is't the image "burned" into those formats?
What they're in effect saying Bill, is that the HDV format is highly compressed and therefore the artifacts that might not be so bad on the first pass, can get ugly after a few trips through the editing/signal delivery process. This is how Discovery HD approves formats. But it's up to their engineers and what quality standards they want to maintain. Maybe the home viewer won't notice the difference, or, they might notice and just not understand what they're seeing.

To directly compare the XHA1 and the F330, you will have many scenarios where seeing the difference will be near impossible. Put lots of motion in the scene, or low light, and your F330 will give you the edge. As Chris said, it also comes down to image controls. For the money you paid, you also have every right to expect the F330 to have a higher overall build quality. That counts for a lot in terms of how service issues are handled.

-gb-

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Another angle...

I friend of mine who posts on a different forum did a comparison of a borrowed F350 and his own XL H1 which, granted, is not the camera being compared here but which is of course Canon's top of the line offering.

He thought the F350 much better, citing increased latitude, s/n ratio and color accuracy. The resolution is the same, and that can cause some pictures to look equivalent.

I have the F350, the HVR-V1U and the Canon HV20, and all take beautiful pictures. I've cut the V1 and the F350 together successfully. The HV20 looks awesome if it gets enough light, but gets VERY noisy with less light. The V1 when viewed on a 42" 1080P monitor definitely doesn't hold up to the F350 at 1080P. But all are great cameras.

Clearly we are in a market where a camera that costs much more is only incrementally better and in ideal circumstances, even to the trained eye, the difference can be almost imperceptible.

But like Greg said, in real world shooting with complex and/or high motion scenes, lower light, demands for greater latitude and so forth, the extra money can seem very well spent.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Weaver View Post
I just bought an HX A1 for a backup camera, and begun to edit footage from both cameras side-by-side.

Frankly, I am stunned by how little difference I am seeing. Yes, there is some difference, but not thousands of dollars of difference. In some cases, I even like the images from the A1 better.

Anybody else had an experience like this?
Bill, Can you tell me the settings you used for your XH-A1? I have a shoot coming up that I am using a XDCAM and a XH-A1.
Thanks,
MG
Matthew Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I just watched my latest storm chasing feature projected onto a 15m screen with a Sony 4K projector. Most of the program was shot using XDCAM HD but there is also some upscaled SD and some HDV material in it (Z1 and canon H1). On a 37 inch LCD it is very difficult to spot the HDV material from the XDCAM HD material. However on the 10m screen the HDV material just didn't have the clarity or sharpness of the XDCAM material. You could also see artifacts in some of the HDV material while the XDCAM footage looked clean. I think my XDCAM HD material stood up just as well as the HDCAM material on the big screen.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts