DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Trouble w/video out to Marshall (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/104873-trouble-w-video-out-marshall.html)

Eric Emerick October 2nd, 2007 09:14 PM

Trouble w/video out to Marshall

I can't get a signal from my 350 to my Marshall HD 7" monitor, connected to video out on camera. BNC connectors on both. Shooting 23.98 HD. Set camera menu to HD Y or component, neither works. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Mike Marriage October 3rd, 2007 03:55 AM

Is it terminated properly?

Alister Chapman October 3rd, 2007 07:50 AM

As Mike says check the termination. The XDCAM cameras shut off the video outputs to save on power consumption unless they see the correct 75ohm termination.

Bob Willis October 3rd, 2007 09:53 AM

The Video out connector is a Composite SD signal or HD Y channel.
The HD SDI connector is HD only. Does the specific Marshall monitor handle HD SDI or HD component or both ?

You can not get component out of the 350. Also if you recorded in SD (DVCAM ) format no signal is output from the SDI connector.

Greg Boston October 3rd, 2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Emerick (Post 753461)
I can't get a signal from my 350 to my Marshall HD 7" monitor, connected to video out on camera. BNC connectors on both. Shooting 23.98 HD. Set camera menu to HD Y or component, neither works. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

As was stated, make sure you are terminated properly if the Marshall has a loop through.

HD -Y is just what it says. It's HD but luma only. However, you CAN connect this to a monitor that accepts HD component, using the Green channel connector because that's also the luminance channel. I've hooked up to a Dell 2405 using this method and it works fine.

Composite is just a standard definition baseband video signal. Will connect to any composite video input (the yellow RCA connector on consumer equipment). 16:9 is anamorphic in this signal so your display must know how to interpret it or you'll see a squished horizontal image.

-gb-
-gb-

Bob Willis October 3rd, 2007 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 753723)
As was stated, make sure you are terminated properly if the Marshall has a loop through.

HD -Y is just what it says. It's HD but luma only. However, you CAN connect this to a monitor that accepts HD component, using the Green channel connector because that's also the luminance channel. I've hooked up to a Dell 2405 using this method and it works fine.

Composite is just a standard definition baseband video signal. Will connect to any composite video input (the yellow RCA connector on consumer equipment). 16:9 is anamorphic in this signal so your display must know how to interpret it or you'll see a squished horizontal image.

-gb-
-gb-

I was assuming that he wanted a color picture to monitor not luminance only.

Eric Emerick October 3rd, 2007 02:48 PM

It's an HD-SDI IN and OUT monitor. I had it working 3 months or so ago, that's what's frustrating. I must have done something but can't figure what.

Greg Boston October 3rd, 2007 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Emerick (Post 753822)
It's an HD-SDI IN and OUT monitor. I had it working 3 months or so ago, that's what's frustrating. I must have done something but can't figure what.

You said in your original post that you were connected to the video out of the camera. If you're attaching that to your Marshall HDSDI input, then you are in the wrong hole. Move the BNC to the back of the camera where the HDSDI output is located.

Apologies in advance if that's the connector you're using, but that's not how your original post reads.

-gb-

Eric Emerick October 3rd, 2007 04:26 PM

Ha, yeah, I tried both in desperation. Oh well.