XDCam Batch at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 7th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #1
Major Player

XDCam Batch

Hi All,

I have tried to get an answer on this, so far no luck..I have tried to Batch Capture some footage into Final Cut 6.01 from an F70 deck.. The footage is HD 1080i 30fps.. I tried to do the batch capture using firewire, but no luck.. After giving it some thought, I realized that the XDCam foramt is much different than traditional tape, and am wondering since it stores the video in clips, if it is even possible to Batch it in...
As an alternative, i have a Kona card in the Mac Pro, with SDI inputs.. I have not attempted to use this option to try and Batch Capture it.. Maybe this is a possible soultion??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Mike M
Old October 7th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #2
Wrangler

Mike, you "batch" capture XDCAM by selecting all(cmd-a) the clips in the XDCAM Transfer software thumbnail/list view(upper right), and clicking on IMPORT.

If you initiate that process from within FCP using XDCAM Import, it will open XDCAM Transfer for you, then you select all the clips once they show up, and hit the import button. You'll be returned to FCP and the clips will show up in the bin as the full resolution material gets unwrapped into QT containers. You can start editing as you wait on the remaining clips to appear in the bin.

Yeah, it's a bit different than AV streaming over firewire.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Hello,

Ok maybe i misunderstood, but that sounds like an normal import.. There is a little more to my situation that I mentioned..(I was trying to keep it simple) Anyway I had imported using Automatic Duck a timeline that was editied in Avid..to my Final Cut workstation.. So I have a bunch of clips(no footage-placeholders if you will) that have the timecoded from the Avid capture embedded.. And i want to just do a batch capture of the whole deal, so It just goes and finds the timcode and imports them in...

Mike M.
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Mike,

until you explain why the method you've be shown in multiple threads on multiple boards doesn't actually work then I guess I'll just keep posting the same answer in my insane and selfish desire to help you out ...

Did you read my response to your thread here:
http://www.kenstone.net/cgi/discussi...ad=95633#95633

As I noted, "Can it be done? Yes, absolutely. Has anyone ever done it? Yes, absolutely. Is it ideal? Hell no."

Can you explain why you were unsuccessful at Batch Capture? What were the specific problems you had that prevented it from working? XDCAM does record thec clips as individual entities but the timecode is incremental and the camera/deck emulates a tape transport system if used corectly.

If you have a Kona card and take the Hd-SDI out from the camera/deck to the Kona then you should be fine. You can use RS422 for remote from the deck, or Firewire for remote from the camera

... and just so as we're on the same page, its not really so much my altruistic nature, actually its more because if you have hit upon a particular workflow which prevents the tried and tested method I keep telling you from working, then I want to know so that I can be sure to avoid it in future. :)

cheers
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #5
Major Player

Hello,

well lets see..I have not been in the office and have yet to try the SDI method.. The firewire method gave me an error and timed out..It never "batch captured" a single clip this way..I tried every possible capture preset, device setting I could muster.. and always the same result..

I will be in the office this morning, so I will attempt the SDI method..

I have posted in only 2 places..I did not know i had exceeded the limit???

Mike M.
Old October 8th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #6
Major Player

man, of course theres no limit ;-)
folks usually read and respond to replies before reposing their questions though, just good manners is all.

so are you using a camera or deck?
did you remember to switch to AV/C mode before attempting to Batch Capture as DV via firewire
did you set the remote interface (INTERFACE SELECT > REMOTE I/F) to i.LINK if applicable?
did you set the front panel swirtch to REMOTE if applicable?
Andy Mees is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts