FCP and XDCAM importer not recognising 25p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 14th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Trustee

FCP and XDCAM importer not recognising 25p

Okay, newbie to FCP time.

Just trying to figure out why the XDCAM importer for FCP and FCP itself shows 25p XDCAM SD footage as being 50i? With Vegas the clips were always recognised properly as being 25p, and the display output to an LCD monitor was resultantly of a higher resolution because all lines were displayed properly.

With FCP, and the output to the MXO I am not seeing proscan output. Instead I'm seeing interlace 'flicker' and horizontal 'jaggies', the only way I can describe it. Any way to get the MXO to display a 25p signal without emulating interlacing? And any way to get FCP and the importer to recognise the clips as being 25p and not 50i?

I know 25p is held within a PsF stream, but once the files are in a NLE all lines should be displayed simultaneously. This is the way Vegas handles them anyway.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Just some things to check:

In the timeline settings dialog do you have a progressive timeline setup?

Did FCP ask to change the timeline settings to match the clip when you added it to the timeline. If you answered "Yes" then you may have an interlaced timeline.

Beyond that I can't think of anything else.
Old October 14th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Trustee

I went to the sequence settings and told it to be progressive scan. That has made it output progressive scan. However, because FCP thinks that the footage is 50i it is line doubling the footage as a result instead of outputting the full 576 lines.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #4
Trustee

Okay, I went to Audio/Vidwo settings, and then the Sequence Presets tab, and modified that to Proscan too. So now my Sequence preset is proscan, my main Audio/Video setting is proscan, my Sequence Settings are set to proscan, and I have also now managed to get the actual clips to be set to None for field dominance.

The result? Not very much! It is still line doubling the footage.

Surely a package like this must be able to handle something as simple as 25p footage correctly?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts