DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Fastest Transfer, Ethernet or Firewire? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/106562-fastest-transfer-ethernet-firewire.html)

Mark Silva October 26th, 2007 10:01 AM

Fastest Transfer, Ethernet or Firewire?

It's my understanding there are two ways to get the footage out, ethernet and firewire.

is one faster than the other? or are they the same and just another option?

Bill Ravens October 26th, 2007 12:48 PM

What do you mean "get the footage out"?

Fastest networking solution on the planet is Gigabit ethernet. If you're trying to just get footage to a hard drive, SATA III is the fastest for the buck, followed by SATAIII RAID, SCSI RAID, fiber channel RAID, in order of increasing cost.

Dan Brazda October 26th, 2007 03:47 PM

If you are shooting 60i, Flip4Mac has a great Gig-E transfer solution that is MUCH faster than the FAM Firewire route. It doesn't work with 24P which is why I haven't purchased it but it will support that in the future so that's when I'll jump in.

Alister Chapman October 27th, 2007 09:45 AM

But the bottleneck is the speed of the drive in the deck or camera which maxes out at about 70Mb/s, not the connection.

Mark Silva October 29th, 2007 11:23 AM

I mean mounting the xdcam disk on your desktop and selecting the folders and copying them over.

surely of the ethernet or firewire, one is faster than the other for xdcam file transfers.

John Mitchell November 7th, 2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 765355)
What do you mean "get the footage out"?

Fastest networking solution on the planet is Gigabit ethernet. If you're trying to just get footage to a hard drive, SATA III is the fastest for the buck, followed by SATAIII RAID, SCSI RAID, fiber channel RAID, in order of increasing cost.

Actually there are several faster solutions - including 10Ge copper and very fast 4G fibre solutions. However the deck doesn't have these options so its not important.

Alister pointed out that the drive only reads at 70Mb/s - if that is accurate (and it seems about right for BD - actually quicker than I thought) then F/W would be the same speed as gigE.

Greg Boston November 8th, 2007 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 765773)
But the bottleneck is the speed of the drive in the deck or camera which maxes out at about 70Mb/s, not the connection.

I believe the speed of the F-70 is supposed to be about double due to a dual head pick-up vs. the camera. It's one of the incentives for spending $15k USD for one.

One advantage to the ethernet approach is that the drive will have its own IP address and with VPN, could be accessed for footage upload from anywhere on the planet.

-gb-

Steve Cahill November 14th, 2007 05:51 AM

The issue with the transfer via Ethernet is the Flip4Mac writes the files to HDV format, differently than the Fam transfer. The transfer I thought was not that much faster. I tested a beta version so they might of had some changes since then.

Mark Silva November 14th, 2007 12:40 PM

I copied a 40 minute recording over firewire from an F70 using FAM on a mac g5 quad and it took about 35 minutes. (using the older xfer software)

I have heard that the new software is nearly twice as fast so that same xfer would be about 15-20 minutes on the new software. I hope thats true.

Steve Cahill November 15th, 2007 03:56 PM

I just downloaded the Latest Flip4mac trial. Imported some footage shot @ 24p and it imported fine to FCP but it was tagged as 60i footage, plays fine.

I tested this applcation a year ago gave feedback. I was surprised that the 24 p is not supported as well as the 16x9 preview window is not displaying the previews in the correct aspect ratio it is cropped @ the top. Looks like it stills needs some work. Meanwhile FAM is fine from the deck, it beats working with tape, those days seem like ancient history.

Contacted Support @ Flip4MAC and I am uploading a 24fps mxf file for them per their request.