Audio Input Levels at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 26th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Input Levels

So my understanding is that the demarkation between the open LED squares and the filled LED squares in the viewfinder audio monitoring display is at -20db and the top square is 0 db. In practice, this doesn't seem to even be in the ballpark at least when using rear line level inputs on Ch 1&2. I monitored an entire concert recording to keep the peaks at or below 0 db and averaging about -12. When I imported the footage and played it back in FCP it was consistantly about 8 db lower than what I was watching. Ideas?
Dan Brazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Dan

I tested this, after a fashion, once before:
I used an F350's internal signal generator to record a clip of bars and tone with a line up level of -20db.
When played it back, the levels displayed correctly at -20db in the viewfinder audio monitoring display
I then imported the clip via FAM to FCP.
When the imported clip and played it back in FCP's viewer or timeline the audio levels measured exactly at -20db just as they should.
Try the exact same test as above with your own kit, and see if your results match. If so then it would suggest that what you're seeing is an inconsitent metering issue. When you play the footage back in camera do the levels displayed match what you saw when monitoring during record, or are they consistent with the levels as measured in FCP?

Cheers
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Andy. I'll do the same test and ost the results.
Dan Brazda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts