Maintenance budget for F3XX series at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old November 7th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #1
Contributor

Maintenance budget for F3XX series

Hi - just wondering if anyone has a rough idea of a reasonable annual maintenance budget for the F33x or the F35x? I'm looking to replace some existing equipment in the next 6 months.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell View Post
Hi - just wondering if anyone has a rough idea of a reasonable annual maintenance budget for the F33x or the F35x? I'm looking to replace some existing equipment in the next 6 months.
We've had a couple cameras for a full yr now, and aside from an issue with a dead pixel (on one), there hasn't been any maintenance costs at all.
Ryan Hollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #3
Contributor

Thanks Ryan - I think Sony has a general 1 year warranty and a five year warranty on the drive, which is the best warranty I've seen on a Sony cam. Anyone else? (apart from blown firewire ports which usually stems back to user error)
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #4
Trustee

My 350 hasn't needed any service yet. It's like a BMW in the first few years... it really shouldn't need anything, unless you wreck it.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #5
Wrangler

Yes, the PDW series cameras have a longer warranty than other previous broadcast cameras. That tells you something about Sony's thoughts on reliability of the drive.

I had a shutter board failure last year, but of course that was well within warranty.

I don't think you'll have to spend much. As far as I know, there's not even a cleaning disc available.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
As far as I know, there's not even a cleaning disc available.
That's because it has a cleaning system built in. Everytime you insert a disc it does a cleaning cycle on the laser head. :-)
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham View Post
That's because it has a cleaning system built in. Everytime you insert a disc it does a cleaning cycle on the laser head. :-)
Yeah, I knew that. Was more a direct comparison to tape based units and their need for cleaning tapes.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #8
Inner Circle

20 Months of hard use and so far not a penny spent on maintainance, other than cleaning dirt, dust and grime off the exterior.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts