Canon Lens, No Threads - How to UV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 6th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon Lens, No Threads - How to UV?

I finally received my F335 and Canon KH13X4.5KRS HD Lens. The lens looks great and I am very pleased with it. I am in the habit of buying a UV filter and threading onto the front of my SD lenses to protect them from scratches.

This new lens has no threads for screw-on type filters however. I find this odd. How do I protect the lens?

Regards,
Chris
Chris Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #2
New Boot

I dont know about the KH13x but on the kh21x5.7 the thread is built in to the lens hood. They have a very nifty slide on the hood so you can rotate your circular polarizer with out sticking your fingers inside and risking getting finger prints on the filter. I for one love it.

Ben
Ben Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #3
Major Player

The brochure of the KH13x4.5 KRS says the following: The filters (UV, Sky Light, Cross Screen, Snow Cross, Sunny Cross, Polarized Light, Softon and ND8) are to be attached to the threaded hood unit.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #4
New Boot

You are right

Thanks for the response. I've never seen this before. I do intend to use a matte box with this lens, so I will not have the hood on the camera. When I am not using an actual FX filter, I guess I need to install a 4x5 UV filter for protection?

Seems like the lens will be more venerable to dust and scratches that if it could just accept a screw-on UV filter. Typically, I don’t much need to clean my actual lens, as the filter is what gets cleaned.

Regards,
Chris
Old December 7th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Is your matte box single stage only? It won't accommodate more than one filter at a time?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #6
New Boot

dual

No, it accepts 2 filters. I'm stealing the Chrosziel 450A off of my Z1U and buying new rods, base and step ring from 16x9 to use it on the F355.

Chris
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

With a filter already in the matte box, you can forgo the 4x5 UV, but I think it would be a good idea to have one anyway. Leave the box on the lens and slip in the UV whenever you're not using another filter.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #8
New Boot

yeah

Seems like the best way to deal with it, considering my setup. Still there will be times when the lens is naked. Kinda makes me nervous considering the cost of HD and how easy it would be to damage.

Thanks,
Chris
Old December 7th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #9
New Boot

Having read this thread, I'm with you, Chris (Rowe).

For a professional camera which could reasonably be expected to be used with a matte box, the design you've described leaves something to be desired. Seems like an example of some engineer out there thinking (wrongly) they could improve on something that wasn't broken to begin with.

My $.02

Reminds me of a remark attributed I believe to Marlon Brando in some picture from the forties or fifties.

"Do me a favor. Don't do me no favors."

Mike
Michael Rissi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts