DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Sony sites and downloads a mess! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/109888-sony-sites-downloads-mess.html)

Paul Gale December 10th, 2007 06:26 AM

Sony sites and downloads a mess!

Has anyone ever fed back to the Sony product managers what a mess the Sony web sites are - also VERY confusing with their different versions of XDCAM software viewers!

I was wondering if they were aware how their sites are perceived?

Richard Lesser December 10th, 2007 07:35 PM

I agree. The packages with version numbers don't really reflect the most updated version. Quite confussing.

Where do we send our suggestions?

Chris Hurd December 10th, 2007 07:59 PM

Post your suggestions right here. I guarantee that Sony America reviews this board on a frequent basis. All I ask is, keep it professional and constructive.

Steve Cahill December 11th, 2007 06:14 AM

I agree, Sony has too many sites, while the euro site always has the downloads first before the US site, it is confusioning.

They need to be one company facing the customer, I see them as two different company's competing with themselves.

Chris Hurd December 11th, 2007 08:39 AM

But that's exactly what they are... multiple companies which are sometimes competing directly against each other. This is the case for all four of the major camcorder manufacturers, Panasonic - JVC - Canon as well as Sony. And that situation is *not* going to change any time soon. Any suggestions for improving their site?

Thierry Humeau December 11th, 2007 10:12 AM

Sony is well aware of the situation and is working on revamping the XDCAM software download site.

Thierry.

Mark Silva December 11th, 2007 11:04 AM

Sony's websites have been a mess since they had a website.

Paul Gale December 11th, 2007 01:17 PM

My biggest problem was with the software - it took me quite a while to understand what to use and when - not helped by the odd version numbers and update vs full installers - especially when the update installer asks to uninstall the older version first - is that really an update!?

The other problem I had is that there are (at least) two products for viewing proxy/full res files - these are not explained clearly and the product roadmap (if that's the right term) seems to be very muddled. Is VX10 the successor to proxy viewer for example?

Oh, and the proxy viewer software download is corrupt from the Europe web site - UK tech support are aware of this but it's still there in a corrupt form. I had a real problem after asking one of my clients to download and install this after sending them some proxy files to urgently install - it delayed the project by a day :(

re the web site - an easy to find/search and navigate downloads section would be a real start - the current method is very confusing and the info displayed about updates is not as clear as it should be.

Thanks.