XDCAM to HDCAM at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 13th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #1
Major Player

XDCAM to HDCAM

Have any of you had occasion to need your XDCAM master transferred to HDCAM for sending to Discovery or Outdoor Channel and such? Out here in Medford Oregon there is no such animal as an HDCAM deck.

It seems to be a fairly expensive proposition. Any recommendations?
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Couple of options. Export the show back to XDCAM HD and then send the disc to somewhere that can dub it to HDCAM.

For better quality:

Render the whole project out to a Pro-Res or Uncompressed file. Stick that on a hard drive and send the drive to a facilities co. that can play it out to HDCAM for you.
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

transfer facilities

Hi Warren,

AFAIK we are the only studio in Portland w/ XDCAM HD -- but we master to D5 HD, not HDCAM. We'll eventually get an HDCAM deck, but on the few occasions we've needed something to/from HDCAM, I've just taken our PDW-F70 to another facility here in town.

I believe Victory in Seattle supports both the "X" and the "H" formats.

Keith
Keith Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys. Keith, what facility do you use in Portland for transfer? I've done a search from here in Medford with no results.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #5
Wrangler

Yeah, I was going to say, Alister's recommendation of putting a ProRes or DNxHD file on a hard drive and sending to a facility that can lay that off to tape is the best solution; it keeps your program from getting hit by the MPEG2 codec twice.

Here in Los Angeles it is standard procedure to FCP at home or in office, and layoff somewhere else. Often it's worth the expense to have an experienced online editor go through your program so it won't be rejected. An experienced online editor can do lots of fixes even if he has just the program in one big file, and not the original FCP project.
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Warren,

I was told that Mission Control in Portland has an HDCAM SR deck. You might want to give them a call.

Forrest
Forrest Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks again everyone.

@ Nate, I'm concerned that the final transfer will turn out to be a significant portion of the budget for a FCP edit of a 30 minute show. What do you budget for that kind of transfer/fix with an online editor. For that matter, what kind of fixes are they doing?

Thanks for the Portland info, Forest. I've not heard of them.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts