DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   PDW-U1 Problem - Help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/113172-pdw-u1-problem-help.html)

Stewart Menelaws January 25th, 2008 11:13 AM

PDW-U1 Problem - Help

Could not find an answer anywhere to this problem so here is the question, hopefully someone may be able to help because our dealer has been unable to so far.

I have a Brand New Sony PDW-U1 connected to a Mac Quad running FCP Studio 2, Sony software is loaded, and update downloaded from Sony site. Icon appears on desktop and XDCAM HD Transfer window opens. When trying to access the clips on the disc I get error messages about missing clips. Trying to access files through FCP gets the same message. We have this loaded on 2 Macs and both getting error messages.

When connecting the camera (via FAM) to the Mac, and using the same disc there is no problems.

Any help in this matter would be really great...

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.com

Greg Boston January 25th, 2008 12:07 PM

The XDCAM Transfer has a fairly tight timer on the error loop. I ran into this with another person who was using their camera on the same FW with disc storage.

Since the U1 connects via USB, vs, FW with the camera, it would appear to be a timing issue. My only guess, and this is strictly out in left field, it to try to find a better quality USB cable. Maybe even try a different USB hub on the Mac. Unplug other USB devices on the same hub if possible.

I'm just thinking out loud because short of an actual defective drive, these are things you can try, in order to eliminate variables.

Good luck,

-gb-

Stewart Menelaws January 25th, 2008 01:57 PM

Many thanks for the quick reply Greg, will give these suggestions a try.... the dealer just called to say that they think it could be a defective unit and use Silver Support to get a quick turnaround on it.

Meanwhile until Monday, if there are any other ideas out there I could try. they would be most welcome...

www.studioscotland.com

Stewart Menelaws January 26th, 2008 05:14 AM

Just for further info in case others are having this problem, As Greg suggested, I have tried using a high quality cable, other USB ports, another Mac with all the correct software and updates, re-loading software, read the manual over and over (does not say much, no trouble shooting section) and no joy. Will contact Sony on Monday....:-(

www.studioscotland.com

Stewart Menelaws January 28th, 2008 01:50 PM

PDW - U1 Update

Here is an up date on the PDW-U1 problem.

I contacted Sony Silver Support today and they have been very helpful, they were a bit baffled by the error messages at first, and having called me back a number of times they told me that there was a problem reported, that if you were not fully up to date with FCP6 at 6.02 there would be issues - I thought we had updated to the latest down loads but I was mistaken. However, what was interesting was that when we updated various apple application updates, the U1 began to operate as it should, yet we had still not updated FCP to 6.02
Have got everything up to date now, and I can report that the U1 works very well and is really nice to use. Hope this helps anyone else that might run into this...

www.studioscotland.com

Greg Boston January 28th, 2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart Menelaws (Post 816003)
Here is an up date on the PDW-U1 problem.

I contacted Sony Silver Support today and they have been very helpful, they were a bit baffled by the error messages at first, and having called me back a number of times they told me that there was a problem reported, that if you were not fully up to date with FCP6 at 6.02 there would be issues - I thought we had updated to the latest down loads but I was mistaken. However, what was interesting was that when we updated various apple application updates, the U1 began to operate as it should, yet we had still not updated FCP to 6.02
Have got everything up to date now, and I can report that the U1 works very well and is really nice to use. Hope this helps anyone else that might run into this...

www.studioscotland.com

EXCELLENT JOB, Stewart! Your actions and posts in this thread are exemplary of what a community forum should be. Thanks for coming back to post the solution. Glad it is working for you now.

-gb-