Problem Opening Mxf File at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old February 12th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #1
New Boot

Problem Opening Mxf File

Hi -

I rented an F330 a few months back for use on an amateur documentary project, but due to other commitments haven't been able to seriously get around to editing it till now.

I'm working in Premiere, and using a Cineform codec to get something I can edit with. Had a few teething problems, but finally got all but one 6 GB file to convert okay. It's not absolutely the end of the world if I can't use it, and not worth spending serious money to recover, but it was probably my favourite interview from the shoot, so would be nice to have!

As Cineform was only having problems with this single file, I tried today to open it in first a trial version of Vegas and then the PDZ-VX10 MXF viewer. Neither liked it. The former just refuses to open it (or show any properties about it) and the latter tells me "DirectShow does not have the correct filters to play the file".

As I said, it was a rental camera, so I don't have easy access to getting it off the disc again. Everything else came off the disc just fine. Anyone got any ideas of how to try and recover at least some of the interview at some quality, or is it all gone?

Jonathan
Jonathan Dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Try downloading the mainconcept mpeg2 decoder http://www.mainconcept.com/site/?id=7862 . See if it will even play with that...if not try to get your hands on the Snell and Wilcox MXF desktop program which will split your mxf file into an mpeg file and audio files. From there you should be able to do an mpeg repair or something. It sounds like part of your file got corrupted somehow.
Mitchell Skurnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #3
Major Player

Do you still have the XDCAM disc?

If so, you could always get someone to convert or get it off the disc for you
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just ran up on the same problem, turns out if I unlock the file before trying to view it in the XDCAM viewer it works fine and you don't get the DirectShow error message.
Warren Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the ideas. Mainconcept doesn't work, and can't seem to find a copy of the Snell & Wilcox program. I'm not absolutely sure if I have it on a disc to be honest, it might have got formatted over. In any event I don't have easy access to a camera to check.

Warren, what do you mean by unlocking the file?
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

If you are on a Mac, the sub folder has a little lock icon on the bottom left of the file icon. I click "get info" and uncheck the "lock" box.
Warren Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #7
New Boot

Unfortunately I'm on a PC, but thanks for the thought.

Managed to get my hands on Snell & Wilcox's MXF desktop, and installed it. Was very excited to see that what I double clicked on the mxf - it actually opened in WMP! It then proceeded to stutter and didn't play right, but was still a start, I suppose.

I tried the MXF Unwrap wizard - its given me the first two minutes as an m2v which works fine, but unfortunately seems to hang there and not give me any more. To be exact, the status bar gets to the full position, but the programme doesn't end - and leave it an hour or so and come back, and the m2v its exporting hasn't gotten a byte bigger, which I presume means its not doing anything.

I guess that must be where the fault in the file is and nothing more to do then?
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #8
Major Player

No the program just takes forever to export the video. Even when it is a small file...
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #9
New Boot

No - I really think its not doing anything. I left it for about seven hours today just to give it one go (my computer crashed in the end, cutting it off). Still didn't add anything to the size of the file it was outputting.

In terms of the .aes audio files it produces when unmuxed, anyone any idea what format they're in exactly / how to get them into CS3?

Thanks.
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #10
Major Player

There are tutorials online to convert audio files with mencoder:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

Do a google search or review the readme file with the program.

Only do this if your comfortable with command prompt.
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #11
New Boot

Hi Jonathan

If it is any use to you I have an F70 deck (and F330 camcorder) and you are more than welcome to pop by an re-capture your original footage. I am based in Sussex, which isn't close but not a million miles away from Devon.

Drop me a line if it helps.

Cheers

Neil
Neil Ambrose is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts