Content management and MXF etc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Content management and MXF etc

Does anyone here use any kind of content management for MXF proxy/full res clips?

Something a few stages up from the PDZ-1 software would be great and the ability for customers to preview low res clips via web pages (smaller than the proxy files generated by the camera - so there'd need to be transcoding built in).

CatDV looks good but not sure about MXF support.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:56 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Paul,

I met these guys at the IBC. Not sure if they got what you need but they are very advanced into MXF filemanagement.

http://www.opencubetech.com/
Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gale View Post
the ability for customers to preview low res clips via web pages (smaller than the proxy files generated by the camera - so there'd need to be transcoding built in).
The PDZ-1 software will also export both full res and proxy files to ASF format and they are smaller than the proxy files. You do this from the story window. Right click on a clip list name in the left hand clip list name window, and you can output to ASF from there.

Don't know if that will help with your situation or not.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco Romeijn View Post
Hi Paul,

I met these guys at the IBC. Not sure if they got what you need but they are very advanced into MXF filemanagement.

http://www.opencubetech.com/
Thanks - their mxf converter software looked good - until I saw the pricing - 4,500 euros for the full file support!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 23rd, 2008, 01:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
The PDZ-1 software will also export both full res and proxy files to ASF format and they are smaller than the proxy files. You do this from the story window. Right click on a clip list name in the left hand clip list name window, and you can output to ASF from there.

Don't know if that will help with your situation or not.

-gb-
I do use PDZ-1 at the moment and read all discs shot - the ASF export isn't particularly great, so don't tend to use it. I was looking for a web based asset management tool - found something called ResourceSpace with is also Open Source :) The next beta will apparently create FLV previews of videos uploaded too :) Am trying it out now...
Old February 23rd, 2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gale View Post
I do use PDZ-1 at the moment and read all discs shot - the ASF export isn't particularly great, so don't tend to use it. I was looking for a web based asset management tool - found something called ResourceSpace with is also Open Source :) The next beta will apparently create FLV previews of videos uploaded too :) Am trying it out now...
Okay, I missed the part about 'web based' asset management. I thought you wanted local asset management with an output capability suitable in size for web upload. I'll take a look at that software you mentioned. I can't say enough good things about the Open Source community and some of the great applications they have produced.

I agree about the ASF files not looking too great. Another problem is many corporate mail servers will block ASF files as a possible security threat.

-gb-
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM   #7
Major Player

You can also convert it to asf then convert it to different formats of WMV. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.mspx

Nice thing about windows media encoder is it uses all of your system resources to render out a file so encoding is quick.
Mitchell Skurnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:42 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Skurnik View Post
You can also convert it to asf then convert it to different formats of WMV. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.mspx

Nice thing about windows media encoder is it uses all of your system resources to render out a file so encoding is quick.
I have done that Mitchell, but I used a program called Super instead of WME.

-gb-
Old February 23rd, 2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Major Player

Yes - I've also been using that for many years on and off although my prog of choice for the last 2-3 years has been sorenson squeeze compression suite - mostly for it's batch convert abilities (and good on2 VP6 codec for FLV's). The matrox media encoder in Premiere on my Axio system is also pretty quick as it's hardware accelerated.
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Paul,

Maybe this is more what you're looking for: http://www.videgopro.com/sm/

Bye,

Eelco.
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks - that's not quite what I'm looking for - thanks anyway.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts