User matrix settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:43 PM   #1
New Boot

User matrix settings

Hi to all,
Last summer I shoot some scene with beauty green grass, at least on naked eye. Reviewing the footage I was suprised how "dry" that grass looks. None of that freshness...Yes I know, I can fix that in post...My conclusion is: factory color settings are set too warm. Don't get me wrong, mostly I like that warmish tint, but sometimes (matching with DVcam for exemple) I don't. I try to get rid of that yellowish tint by altering items in user matrix menu. After some tweaking I gave up...too risky for me. I also try to lower the overall preset temperature, and now I use 3100 for interiors, and 5400 for exeriors....but I feel that this isn't the solution. Anybody try to tweak user matrix? Nate once wrote: "Not that we need to go into it in this thread, but man, we need to get the word out on what white balance offsets are needed to lose that tell-tale yellow tinge on the XDCAM HD cameras!"

Joseph
Josip Ruzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:34 AM   #2
New Boot

Nate, UIi what is your opinion?
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Josip,

setting the matrix without a Color Chart and some experience is impossible.

To get an impression of how it works:

Paolo Ciccone has done it for the JVC HD200:

http://www.paolociccone.com/hd100-calibration.html

The same way it works with XDCAM HD , too.

As said, I am not experienced in these operations nor do I ever tried it.

Once Paolo wanted to create a "True Color" Setting for XDCAM HD, but I think he didnt find the time to.

I like the setting(s) found on xdcam.com.au (see below) and use HiSAT Settings.

Perhaps we should ask Paolo again, to do a TC preset?

Kind regards

ULI

To save typing for ages the following list has the menu heading and the setting values only and should be easy enough to follow. I am only listing the menus that have a bearing on the final results. Before you start SAVE ANY SCENE FILE YOU HAVE LOADED, as you will lose it. Start with Menu A51 and recall a STANDARD SCENE FILE as a starting point. Now follow the rest. Remember these settings are for use with the DCC in the ‘ON’ position.

Menu A42 Paint
STD
0 (Going + or – on this can yield subtle results, try –15 and +15 and see!)
STD

Menu A43 Status
ON
ON
ON
ON
ON

Menu A45 Knee
140 (Telecam suggests 130, try it you may prefer it! 140 works best here!)

Menu A46 Detail
STD (Can be set to HI for Std Def, personal choice thing)
ON

Menu A48 Matrix 1
ON
ON
ON
STD (Can be set to HI SAT if you want more chroma, some producers love it!)

Menu A49 Matrix 2 (This changes the entire look of the camera!)

Menu A50 Low Key Sat (again changes the look)
10 (Can be set up to 20 for more colour in low light but be careful going too high, can look unnatural!)

If you like what you see use it, if you don’t, loose it .

If you do use it give it a name and remember to save it under Menu A63, ALL FILE, NOT A62, USER FILE. THIS IS IMPORTANT, AS ‘ALL FILE’ WILL SAVE EVERY CHANGE MADE.
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:55 AM   #4
New Boot

Uli, thanks...as always you are very detailed, be sure I'm gonna try what you suggest...

All the best,
Joseph
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #5

hey guys....check here----->

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=110902

it's a pretty long thread, but, you'll find what you're looking for.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Telecam Films

The camera settings tweeks posted by Uli Mors above have served us very well. It is a huge improvement over the camera factory settings.

Enjoy.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #7

sorry, you're talking XDCAM HD, I posted in the wrong thread, my apologies.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post
The camera settings tweeks posted by Uli Mors above have served us very well. It is a huge improvement over the camera factory settings.

Enjoy.

Thierry.
Agreed. I like they way they look. Of note is that those settings are intended for use with DCC set to the on position.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #9
Trustee

Don't forget that Sony US has scoped settings available for download from their website.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #10
Major Player

Yes.

Though the above settings work very well for me - I am also interested in the "full fresh green grass" settings ;-)

I´ve seen footage from XDCAM (SD) shot in spring that really impressed me.

Wonder, if this was achieved by cam settings or post.

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #11
New Boot

Uli, I was playing a bit with the settings you suggested, and find that this picture look a little "punchy", very saturated, and yellow tint still remains... So, I left every setting as is, except two menu items. First, I changed:
A41 (Paint)
-5 (Master black)
STD
HISAT

A48 (Matrix2)

Basically, I lowered the yellow part of the picture. With this new settings I achieved picture very similar to naked eye. This settings work with factory preset setting. No need to lower the preset tempeartue...And the grass is greener :))
Uli, I would like to test it and report your opinion

Sincerely,
Joseph
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM   #12
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

I'm going to try these settings on the F335 I just got. It has the same issue of the knee saturation claiming a range (-99 to +99) in the manual while it actually is 0 to 199 in the camera, so with the default setting at 0, it just seems wrong.

I'm gonna try all the suggestions in this thread and see what happens, the ALL page numbers are identical, so they seem to be the same settings, even though the settings here were originally for the F330/F350.

As for the Sony settings on the Sony USA website, I'm a little hesitant to try them on my F335 in case something is different, since they specifically say F330/F350 and it's an actual download into the camera versus typing in some numbers. Do you think they would be safe to try?

Also, is there any way to set black stretch on these cameras? I'm used to the black stretch setting on my DSR-300A and my Z1. It really helps me pull out shadow detail in the events I shoot.

Thanks.
Eugene Kosarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:46 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Kosarovich View Post
Also, is there any way to set black stretch on these cameras? I'm used to the black stretch setting on my DSR-300A and my Z1. It really helps me pull out shadow detail in the events I shoot.
That would be the Black Gamma setting. Lowering the value crushes the blacks while raising it stretches them.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts