Attention to detail.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old February 27th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Attention to detail....

I am having problems with my 350 not showing detail when panning or tilting over 'busy' images - e.g. brickwork or paving setts. It is as if the camera loses track of the information and only recovers as the shot comes to rest. This seems to happen whether Interlaced or Progressive mode is being used. On a recent shoot we had an EX1 alongside and it seemed much better in this area - we looked at both on a Grade 1 CRT monitor at the hire house that provided the EX1s. They have just purchased some 355s so I can get back to them to see if they have similar problems, however I was wondering if anybody had noticed the same thing. Maybe the answer is the EX1 chip in the 350.
Godfrey Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #2
Telecam Films

You should actually see an obvious difference between shooting in interlace and progressive modes. Interlace should handle pans quite better. Progressive 24P can yield pretty ugly results on pans. Also, which quality setting are you using on the camera? 17, 25 or 35mbps? This can greatly affect the pan quality on highly detailed scenes.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Thierry - I'm using 35mbps and I can see that interlaced is somewhat better than progressive, but it still worries me that a £20K camera has more of an 'issue' than it's £4.5K stablemate. I have -10 set on detail by the way but this seems to have little effect on the 'catch up' problem. I have downloaded the latest versions of firmware but I am wondering if this a problem that can be sorted out or is it an inherent fault of 35mbps/MPEG encoding etc.?
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey Kirby View Post
I have downloaded the latest versions of firmware but I am wondering if this a problem that can be sorted out or is it an inherent fault of 35mbps/MPEG encoding etc.?
Did you install the firmware? If so, do you have Noise Reduction turned on? This will cost a slight penalty in resolution to mask the noise.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Greg - Yes' I had loaded the firmware and I have switched in No.1 position of Noise Reduction. I will have to wait for a bit of daylight to try it out. Fingers crossed.....
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #6
Trustee

Godfrey, you don't say which recording mode you are using (18,25, or 35Mbps?)

Last edited by Simon Wyndham; February 28th, 2008 at 05:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 11:24 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Sorry to be a bit late in posting a reply Simon - have been away from my computer. I am using 35mbps and still having this problem - I have arranged to put my camera alongside a 355 from a friendly hirehouse and see what the problem is. A the moment panning over bare branches on trees is a real no-no. Lets hope it can be sorted out.....
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:47 PM   #8
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Did you install the firmware?
From where can we download the firmware, Greg?

Carroll Lam
Carroll Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:33 PM   #9
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=115148
Old March 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #10
Major Player

What do you have your shutter speed set to?
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Steve - when I first spotted this problem I was shooting 25P and a shutter speed of 1/50th. I havn't had time to put the 350 I own up against a 355 - however I will report back when I do.
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #12
Major Player

25P and or 24P is a bit of a challange to shoot, Pans have to be ever so slowly, a snails pace.. and zooms the same, You can step it up a bit by going to 30P and higher and yield better results with faster motion. Depends on the look. I recently did some aerial worked and used slow motion to take out the bumps and it added some smoothness to the shot.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts