DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   New Firmware and Memory Stick (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/115885-new-firmware-memory-stick.html)

Dan Brazda February 27th, 2008 11:58 AM

New Firmware and Memory Stick

Is the memory stick still limited to 128mb even after the 1.93 update?

Greg Boston February 27th, 2008 12:02 PM

Yes. The special jig that was required in the earlier update also required installing a slightly different firmware revision as well, for updating to Memory Stick Duo support. I didn't feel the need for that so I used the non Memory Stick Duo version which required no special jig.

-gb-

Dan Brazda February 27th, 2008 12:06 PM

So B&H has Sony 128mb memory stick duos in stock (with adapter) but you're saying that won't work without the "jig"? If the answer is no, you know what I'll ask next....

Where do you get the old 128mb memory sticks now?

Greg Boston February 27th, 2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brazda (Post 834114)
So B&H has Sony 128mb memory stick duos in stock (with adapter) but you're saying that won't work without the "jig"? If the answer is no, you know what I'll ask next....

Where do you get the old 128mb memory sticks now?

I use a Lexar 128mb memory stick duo that came with an adapter. That was the only thing I could find in 128mb at the time. It works fine. The main thing is that it won't accept a stick with more than 128mb. I believe that was what the special jig and alternate firmware update alleviated.

-gb-

Dan Brazda February 27th, 2008 12:12 PM

Thanks Greg. I'll grab a couple of 128mb duos and I'll be fine.

Paul Gale February 28th, 2008 02:26 AM

What uses the most amount of memory on the MS? I'm still running with a 32Mb stick and it seems fine so far - not saved a huge amount of user setting etc though...

Greg Boston February 28th, 2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Gale (Post 834464)
What uses the most amount of memory on the MS? I'm still running with a 32Mb stick and it seems fine so far - not saved a huge amount of user setting etc though...

Ironically, I'd say the firmware eats the most space on the stick. All the settings files are really small.

I leave the firmware on my MS all the time and really haven't come close to using it up. The main reason for getting beyond the 128mb stick has more to do with availability of the smaller capacity cards than necessity for data storage.

-gb-

Christopher Jones February 28th, 2008 10:47 AM

Jig question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 834110)
Yes. The special jig that was required in the earlier update also required installing a slightly different firmware revision as well, for updating to Memory Stick Duo support. I didn't feel the need for that so I used the non Memory Stick Duo version which required no special jig.

-gb-

Not sure I am reading this right. Were you able to upgrade to 1.62 and then 1.93 *without* using the jig? I am looking at the readme notes in 1.62 and it says "do not attempt without jig." The 1.93 version says the previous version must be 1.62 so no skipping from 1.60 to 1.93. Hope I am wrong.

Thierry Humeau February 28th, 2008 10:48 AM

I found 8MB memory sticks to work very well. The camera reads them really fast and you can find them on eBay for really, really cheap. A while ago, I won a bundle of 20 for $2.25....

Thierry.

Greg Boston February 28th, 2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Jones (Post 834645)
Not sure I am reading this right. Were you able to upgrade to 1.62 and then 1.93 *without* using the jig? I am looking at the readme notes in 1.62 and it says "do not attempt without jig." The 1.93 version says the previous version must be 1.62 so no skipping from 1.60 to 1.93. Hope I am wrong.

Quote:

Normally, upgrade to V1.54.
( Refer to Technical Memo PDWM07-019 )
If the MS-69A board ( A-1356-823-A ), which is required for version upgrade to V1.54, cannot be
prepared and the implementation of corrections mentioned below is urgently required, upgrade to
this version ( V1.53 ).
In this case, upgrade the Package to V1.62 ( Refer to PDWM07-019 ).
* In V1.53, the Memory Stick PRO function added in V1.54 cannot be used.
This is from the prior firmware update notes. Notice there were two versions of the AT firmware. If you did not, or could not get the proper setup to add memory stick pro functionality, you used AT 1.53. This allowed for updating to PKG 1.62 without the need for the special jig.

This is what I did. Updated to PKG 1.62 with AT 1.53 and all was well.

Now, I've just updated to the latest and everything is still okay.

-gb-

Christopher Jones February 28th, 2008 11:47 AM

I just downloaded the 1.62 package from this website https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz. I can't find any mention in the notes and I don't see anywhere that I can choose an AT pkg other than 1.54. Is there a different download site you are using? The 1.53 version would be fine because we have a bunch of the non PRO 128mb memory sticks.

Christopher Jones February 28th, 2008 12:25 PM

Found the correct site after my second call to support. ftp://storage@ftp.sony.com. Going to try an upgrade now. Thanks Greg.

Greg Boston February 28th, 2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Jones (Post 834710)
Found the correct site after my second call to support. ftp://storage@ftp.sony.com. Going to try an upgrade now. Thanks Greg.

Keep in mind that the prior firmware update also included Fresh 1.06 which has to be upgraded from the service menus. You'll need to update that one as well.

There is no updated Fresh file for the current firmware release, just PKG and AT.

-gb-

William Osorio March 9th, 2008 02:27 PM

Greg I need your help here please:::::

Hi Greg I have
AT:1.53
Package: 1.62

installed on my 350, I remember that for users who don't want to go with extra capacity on MS were able to update to this version without buying the MS-69A board ( A-1356-823-A ) right??

My question is:: Can I do an upgrade to PKG 1.93/AT 1.60 from my courrent version without going first to PKG 1.62/AT 1.54

Please advice,
Thanks in advance

William Osorio

Greg Boston March 9th, 2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Osorio (Post 839671)
Can I do an upgrade to PKG 1.93/AT 1.60 from my courrent version without going first to PKG 1.62/AT 1.54

As I mentioned earlier, the prior firmware update has an updated Fresh file that should be installed. If you at least do that, then you should be okay to go the latest firmware. The AT and PKG file should completely overwrite the previous version when you do the update.

-gb-