Primes with 35mm Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old February 27th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Primes with 35mm Adapter

I've seen a lot of posts about Letus and others being utilized with the 350, but... Is anyone using high-end primes in conjunction with a 35mm adapter on the 350 and if so are the results worth the expense? I'm not knocking the 350 at all (I LOVE the XDCam HD workflow) but even at -3db and controlled lighting the images with run of the mill HD lenses from Canon and Fuji are less than optimum. Any NEW news on this subject?
Dan Brazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Telecam Films

Letus is working on a 35mm adaptor for the XDCam HD cameras which will mount directly to the camera body, not at the end of the lens. It will be a much more compact rig with a higher optical quality.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post
Letus is working on a 35mm adaptor for the XDCam HD cameras which will mount directly to the camera body, not at the end of the lens. It will be a much more compact rig with a higher optical quality.

Thierry.
Yeah I heard about that. Haven't heard the definitive word on light loss and compatibility with various lens mount on the other side. NAB maybe?
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #4
New Boot

Shot a music video last week with the PRO35 adaptor from P+S Technik, with Zeiss Ultra prime lenses (16, 25, 50 and 85mm). Adaptor is for 2/3" mount but i used the LO32BMT Sony adaptor to 1/2" directly to the F350 body. Was a studio set and I was working at 0db and around F2 to 2.8. The results are quite impressive, especially in the close ups. I will post a link when it comes up on YouTube

Last edited by Dimitri Liaos; March 6th, 2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Info missing
Dimitri Liaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Liaos View Post
Shot a music video last week with the PRO35 adaptor from P+S Technik, with Zeiss Ultra prime lenses (16, 25, 50 and 85mm). Adaptor is for 2/3" mount but i used the LO32BMT Sony adaptor to 1/2" directly to the F350 body. Was a studio set and I was working at 0db and around F2 to 2.8. The results are quite impressive, especially in the close ups. I will post a link when it comes up on YouTube
Thanks Dimitri- can't wait to see the link. It would be nice to see some hi-rez stuff too if you can. My problem with the adapters up until now has been their lack of portability/flexibility in the field. How was your combo in this regard?
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I just recieved an email from P+S Technik, and apparently they have a 1/2 inch pro35 adapter out now.
Ryan Hollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hollings View Post
I just recieved an email from P+S Technik, and apparently they have a 1/2 inch pro35 adapter out now.
http://www.pstechnik.de/en/digitalfilm-pro35-1-2.php

Don't see any specs on light loss. Looks interesting though.
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brazda View Post
http://www.pstechnik.de/en/digitalfilm-pro35-1-2.php

Don't see any specs on light loss. Looks interesting though.
I sent an email in,, will report back with some info, hopefully soon.
Ryan Hollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brazda View Post
Thanks Dimitri- can't wait to see the link. It would be nice to see some hi-rez stuff too if you can. My problem with the adapters up until now has been their lack of portability/flexibility in the field. How was your combo in this regard?
Dan, I will post a couple HiRes files when I get a little time.
Concerning portability, things are a bit gloomy. Camera gets heavier and bulkier with all these rods, adapters etc. Also, I used the blue handles to do couple of hand held shots, which moves the centre of gravity forward and makes the back muscles hurt for real. You need a good assistant to work with this system. Calculate that you have to carry quite a box containing the lenses, shades, follow focus etc. and another box containing the PRO35, rods etc. I wouldn't think its very feasible for only one person to handle all this.
Otherwise the length doesn't change much, so one could use a normal rain cover on location.
Ours was a studio set and my assistant is brilliant, so no problems there.
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hollings View Post
Yes there is a 1/2 inch adaptor due out now, but was not available for rental when I made the shoot. Mine was an MK I adaptor, which normally cannot do slow motion but the rental house said they had it upgraded and we should try. Happily, we tried and it worked very well at 50fps.
NOTE: if you use it, remember to ALWAYS repower the unit every time the camera is restarted from a shut down. It has a spinning groundglass and its supply is always cut off together with the camera and although its connected to the lens plug for power, doesn't automatically restart.
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #11
New Boot

guys can we use Letus Extreme or Ultimate adapter for our F350?
Kakhaber Mshvidobadze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #12
Major Player

I do believe there is a 1/2" adaptor.
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post

Thierry.

and you don't know date of release? or when it will be possible to buy it?
Kakhaber Mshvidobadze is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts